Massberg Little Rebel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am just starting out in electronics having made a few pedals and am now looking for a low power amp project that I can start.

I have tried the Ruby based on the 386 chip, but wanted something slightly larger than this and found some posts about a Massberg Little Rebel but all of the links to the schematic and layout are broken (in fact the whole site is down).

Does anyone have a copy that they can post or pm me??

Or if there are any suggestions to a small but powerful (for the size) amp thats powered from say a 9 volt battery that would be great. I did look into a Marshall MS2 also but read some posts that the Little Rebel is a better project.

Many thanks for any replies.

Massberg little rebel or Marshall Ms2

I recently did a home modification of A marshall Ms2 and now the little beast roars and can fill a room with its punch. What did I do, just this: From guitarheads.net I purchased a Underdrive Distortion Mod Tone capacitor and integrated it into the system board of the tone circuit. Next I threw out the little 8ohm .8 watt speaker (the MS2 is actually a 2 watt amp so why would Marshall even put in a speaker so underclassed for the output), replaced it with a 8ohm 3 watt speaker of same diameter. Next I took a set of mini earbud headphones, a stainless steel ink pen (click style) and fashioned a micro spring reverb tube. I then added it to the end of the signal chain and viola! a micro amp with some serious attitude. I even prefer its sound over my Peavey Rage even with a Danelectro Metall 2 pedal. Do this and you wont be sorry. You will have to modify the back of the case to accomodate larger magnet, so battery will still fit also.

the rebel is not really going to be more powerful than the ruby. When you say bigger, you mean more powerful than the lm386 right?

I can tell you from experience that my headbanger is quite loud with a set of small cheap Ipod speakers. When I hook up a nice set of polk satellites it struggles on full volume.

Also the lm386 gets quite nasty when you push it. Not necessarily a bad thing for a guitar amp. But a power house it aint. :)

My suggestion is to use a opamp that has the proper gain characteristics for a guitar (20+), as a pre and gut a t-amp and add 2 4" speakers to a small box. Maybe a 5" cube that has a small port cut out on the bottom and one speaker mounted on top and one on the front.

You will have to split the signal out of the lm386 pre to connect it to the t-amp stereo inputs. The lm386 will run with up to 15v so it will run on the same supply as the t-amp, be it batteries or wall power.

Now get to work and do my bidding :devilr: :smash: :D

I recently did a home modification of A marshall Ms2 and now the little beast roars and can fill a room with its punch. What did I do, just this: From guitarheads.net I purchased a Underdrive Distortion Mod Tone capacitor and integrated it into the system board of the tone circuit. Next I threw out the little 8ohm .8 watt speaker (the MS2 is actually a 2 watt amp so why would Marshall even put in a speaker so underclassed for the output), replaced it with a 8ohm 3 watt speaker of same diameter. Next I took a set of mini earbud headphones, a stainless steel ink pen (click style) and fashioned a micro spring reverb tube. I then added it to the end of the signal chain and viola! a micro amp with some serious attitude. I even prefer its sound over my Peavey Rage even with a Danelectro Metall 2 pedal. Do this and you wont be sorry. You will have to modify the back of the case to accomodate larger magnet, so battery will still fit also.

Wow. That sounds coool! I, too, would like to see more about how you did it, including the "micro spring reverb tube". Sounds very clever!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.