TDK vs. Alps vs. PEC pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was ready to buy the Alps motorized pot (has to be motorized) for a LM3875 gainclone when I came across 25K TDK which costs twice as much:

TKD Potentiometers: Conductive plastic element CP2511 model attenuators and balance controls, 25mm square by 27mm deep with 9mm threaded bushing mount,
solder lugs, no-detents, log taper 10K, 25K, 50K, 100K, 250K, 500K… $72.00/stereo $44.00/mono $76.00/balance (no 500K) $85.00/10K, 25K, 50K, 100K motorized

1) Is "conductive plastic" very good quality?
2) Is log better than linear taper.
3) Would this be better than Alps or PEC?

So as not to put up too many threads, what would be an adequate soldering iron (under $50.00) / solder for the remote control kit I:
Remote 1 kit
am building?

Thanks

Hi chuck55,

I wish I had a chance to give the TKD's a try, but here in Germany these pots are available at Thel Audio only, and the motorized version costs more than 4 times (!) as much as a motorized Alps blue pot. So I went for the Alps pot (have done this serveral times), and this is a very good pot for the money! I guess it's compareable to the noble pots Peter Daniel uses in his integrated GainClones.

For volume adjustment I would always use log version, either 10k, 25k or 50k, depending on your source/amps output/input impedance.

Regards - martin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.