Identifying fake LM3886

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fair enough Wazz, but if I posted exactly what you did in post #40 with you not knowing me at all, would you not suggest that the problem could be non-isolation of the IC from the heatsink? Or at least (but less practically) of the sink from chassis ground?

Cheers

Stuey

i did not mean to open such a can of worms, sorry guys. i actually hadn't put them into a chassis yet, i have a heatsink that is mounted on a piece of mdf that i use for testing any new configurations that i may be trying out so as there is no chassis there is no chassis ground, thanks for your time tho. my supplier replaced the faulty ics so no worries! good service for africa!

No problems, Wazzy.

Once you do put it into a chassis, I find it easier to isolate the IC than the heatsink, even though it of course has an effect on the thermal performance of the chip.

I also prefer to have as much of the metal (ie. the heatsink) as possible connected to chassis ground and thus safety earth. But that's just a personal preference.

Good luck with your project.

Stu

not sure anyone cares..

but I work with National Semiconductor components on a daily basis, all across the range of items they produce..

the printing on the components is no indication whatsoever of whether they're real or fake.

I've seen three different writing finishes on the same component value/types!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.