my first gainclone is working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thanks to everyone's help on here, i got my first gainclone up and running. sounded really well for someone who is horrible at soldering :) realized i also need a much bigger heatsink (using my old one off my of GeForce video card). man those little chips get hot. besides that, all i have left to get is a case and i'm set. once again, thanks to all of you for your help. you gave a newbie hope for bigger and better things.

that's awesome :)
i'm still waiting for my transformer, but i'm gonna start building very soon
gotta find a block of aluminum to bolt everything to until i can get a proper case :)

but .. my case is gonna be wood .. so i gotta figure out some heatsinking inside :)
maybe an old heatsink or two from a CPU should do .. or just a chunk of metal :)

SQ Kid said:
thanks to everyone's help on here, i got my first gainclone up and running. sounded really well for someone who is horrible at soldering :) realized i also need a much bigger heatsink (using my old one off my of GeForce video card). man those little chips get hot. besides that, all i have left to get is a case and i'm set. once again, thanks to all of you for your help. you gave a newbie hope for bigger and better things.

If it is getting that hot there is something wrong or are you talking playing at full volume for a long time? Playing at reasnoable levels should not warm the chip up at all basically.

PentiumII cooler

While I'm waiting for the transformer to arrive, I finished the first channel.
For testing, I'm using an old PentiumII cooler, and it seams to be fine.
Not too big, not too small...
Well... I'm only getting to some conclusion after receiving the transformer.

well, the original pentium 3 were also slot chips instead of socket. thats the type i'm goin for (pent 2 & 3). i had an old one i ripped off of a dead processor and thought it would be more than large enough for each amp. and since people are just trying to get rid of them, you can pick up 4-5 for around $20 or less. just a pain trying to find ones without fans, but it wont be too hard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.