how to connect sub amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi frst of all I have built 3 chip amps with the help off this forum and only had to ask once. Excellent forum. But now i have a question that I can't find the answer.
I have an amp with two 3876 for 8 ohm speakers and one 3886 for a 4 ohm passive sub. My question is how do I connect the sub amp , where does the input come from. I dont really want to add a whole lot of extra circuits. I think i found a thread once that said connect a 10k r to the output and use this as input to the sub amp. is this a good idea ? any help appreciated.

no,
that is just an attenuator.

You need at least a low pass filter (= half a crossover) to feed the bass amplifier.

You should fit a high pass filter (=the other half of the crossover) to feed the two mid/treble amplifiers.

You should also fit a summing circuit to couple the two channels together to feed the single bass speaker.

You may need a phase invert or phase adjust for the bass amplifier.
You may need a high pass filter for the bass amplifier.

You will need a PSU to feed the new circuitry.

Conclusion:
It's far easier to feed the wideband signal to wideband amplifiers feeding full range speakers, with or without passive crossovers.

Thanks that sounds like a good idea. For now I just took the signal from one of the speaker outs with a 10k to the input pot of my sub amp. then a passive crossover for the sub woofer. It seems to work fine. but there is always room for improvement. ;) I open it about once a week to tweak :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.