Input Capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Atilla thanks for the reply, which brings me to another question

What voltage rating should this caps have (input signal)? I've seen threads in here where people are using such high voltages, up to 300V or even more and never quite understood the reason. The actual voltage across the cap will be almost zero so what's the point of high voltage rating?

Also has anyone tried instead of these polyester, polypropylene, paper etc. caps to use multiple smt ceramic ones in parallel? And if so is this approach any good?

Cheers

I'd say go for a decent brand polyprop. People would put anything in their signal path, but I think I'm deaf and sane enough not to find enormous difference, unless they do it *wrong*.

A few searches through those forums will give you a bunch of nice and sane suggestions about what to use. You might also be interested in checking out Tangent's article on input caps here - http://tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I've certainly heard the difference between an electrolytic and polyester, now i've never tried polypropylene before so i don't know how different would sound.

I'll try out a few for sure. But to get back to the original question about this huge paper in oil cap, has anyone tried it? not the specific ones but any with such dielectric?

I have to say i'm tempted, and since i'm planning a couple of new designs i don't have any space concerns at the moment. I'm just curious to know if forking over 70£ for them will make me "eat my hat" :)

Cheers

I am using Ampohm Polypropylene in my Gainclone monobocks. I sourced these from a company whose name escapes me, but their details should be found on www.audiojumble.co.uk.

They normally have a stall at the audiojumbles and their prices are very good. I think mine are 3.3uf and were about a fiver each.

Much better sound than ICW polyprops (IMO)

Here is the link :-http://www.audiocap.co.uk/special-offers-56-c.asp

I don't know, 70 for one input capacitor sounds a little bit of a scary price. I can't guarantee any hat-eating, unless it's related to the fact that you just purchased a gigantic cap for a ludicrous price, that does nothing special in the application it's being put in.

I do know I've seen people report on similar caps, paper-in-oil, beeswax, and say good things about them, but all in all they were a little ... smaller.

I'll try beeswax, just for fun, some day :)

Oh and the link above has some caps with 1% tolerances. I'd be more interested in getting 2(or any number) of low-tolerance caps with good ratings, than putting 2 obscure 10% to 15% tolerance caps in the different channels. A worst-case scenario could end up with quite mismatched channels, after all.

Puffin said:
I am using Ampohm Polypropylene in my Gainclone monobocks. I sourced these from a company whose name escapes me, but their details should be found on www.audiojumble.co.uk.

They normally have a stall at the audiojumbles and their prices are very good. I think mine are 3.3uf and were about a fiver each.

Much better sound than ICW polyprops (IMO)

Here is the link :-http://www.audiocap.co.uk/special-offers-56-c.asp

And we'll be at the AudioJumble on the 21st June in Letchworth - see you there!

The input resistance of the chipamp can be considered near infinity.
The 1k0 feeding that adds almost nothing to infinity.
The 10k pot stes the input impedance/resistance @ 10k.
measure it and you will find it does not vary for different positions of the volume control.

If you add a DC blocking capacitor before the pot, then a resistance measurement will show infinity. The impedance is set by the capacitor at DC and low frequencies and gradually as the impedance of the capacitor falls with increasing frequency the 10k pot becomes the dominant impedance.

rectumfrier said:
Okay thanks!
What would be a good value for the "standard" circuit.. posted on: http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3886.html

An optimal value for this circuit could be 2.2uF.
But it's advisable to raise input impedance to 47kOhm and feedback capacitor to 47uF, so you can use 1uF input coupling capacitor with much better performance than with standard circuit. Or you could use other schematics available at this forum for the best performance from that chip.
To determine required components values likewise to obtain calculated performance characteristics NSC has "Overture_Design_Guide15" which you can find at their website.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.