Connecting Multiple PSU Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm using a 340va trans with dual secondaries and separate +/- rectifier bridges.
I have six 2200uf/50v caps and want to use three per rail.
My question and forgive my ignorance is how to properly wire the caps together to connect the bridge with the anticipated 6600uf supply.
Oh and does this change the total voltage of the caps.

Thanks in advance for your help

Mothman, your question is not too clear which is probably why you have not yet had an answer. If possible always supply a little drawing.

If I understand correctly, you are using one transformer feeding two rectifier bridges, one for each channel.

This means you can only use four of your six capacitors, one on each rail of each channel so they are still rated at 50v but you don't say what the secondary voltages of your transformer are! I would not use them with anything over 24v secondaries, ie about 35-6 volts after the rectifier bridges.

Hey Nuuk,
Thanks for your reply.Your right but I don't have the means to include a schematic.
Anyhow regarding the transformer connections I was going to wire the secondaries -35-0-+35 with 3caps in parallel per rail and just wasn't sure how to connect the caps together in parallel.
While wer'e on the subject how would I wire the trans secondaries for separate L/R channels?

Thanks Again,

First let's establish what voltages you are using! :att'n:

Is the transformer rated at 35-0-35? If so your voltages coming out of the rectifier bridge will be around 45-50 volts and your caps won't be safe!

Also, does the transformer have twin secondaries? If not you won't be using two rectifier bridges.

If you have one transformer and one bridge to supply two channels, you can put three caps in parallel across each rail (providing that they are rated high enough). You then split each rail into two for each channel.

If your caps are not rated high enough, you could use two in series between each rail and 0v. This would double the voltage rating but halve the capacitance to 1100uf.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you don't know how to wire in series or parallel, you should do some more homework before building a power supply. Safety first :att'n:

Hey Nuuk,
I really have made myself out to sound incredibly stupid! but yes I do have a basic understanding of electronics.
The trans an Avel Lindburg is indeed 340va twin secondary 25-0-25 (35+- after rectification)and is now wired as you described with separate +/- rails one schottky bridge per that feed each channel that has 2x220050v on it.
And yes I have since figured as you also correctly point out that I couldn't add a third cap at the amp and thats really what I was having trouble visualizing.

Good news Mothman! There is (or should be) a slight worry when advising people to do things like play with electricity, hence my previous remarks.

Anyway, sounds like you are well on your way now with the PSU but what amp are you building? Presumably a Gainclone (or CHIPPA as I am calling them) but which version?

Hey Nuuk,

I appreciate your remarks as I am indeed a novice and not an engineer,just a dedicated amatuer DIY'r trying to learn from some of the incredibly knowlegable people here on DiyAudio.
I have a LM3886 based non- inverted clone up and running with the PSU I struggled to describe and chips wired pretty much per the NSC Data sheets and opinions gathered here and Chip Amp.com
I have everything in one box,a Bud Enclosures model that I reinforced with some small alum. angles so the center mounted trans doesn't cave the bottom.10k Dact attenuators,very nice heatsink sections from Accel,all Black Gate caps and Riken comp resistors,Cardas binding post and RCA's everything meticulously wired p2p.
Believe it or not I don't own a computer or I'd love to post some pics as I am quite proud of my accomplishment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.