GainClone Volume Control Q

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm building a shoe-string budget gainclone for my father (who is VERY definitely not an audiophile but does need a couple of small audio amplifiers). If I like what I hear from the GC I may build a better one later for myself.

I have run into one problem, though. He doesn't have a pre-amp in his system (like I said not DEFINITELY not an audiophile) so I need to put the volume control on the GC itself. The inverted schematic calls for a 50k audio taper pot... but I can't find one from the sources that I am ordering from. (Actually, I can find one but it is so cheap that I assume its matching is beyond attrocious)

My sources do have a nice (well nice enough for this use) Panasonic 10k audio taper pot. Would it be okay to substitute it for the 50k or would that result in lousy control?

Thanks in advance for your help.

10k is just fine, for line-level signals. I think 50k would be too much... gives not-enough control in the ranges you'll likely be listening.

Cheap pots probably mean a fake audio taper, and those are only barely tolerable for consumer-grade stuff. I can't live with them... but, finding the real deal is so hard...

In short, go for it... 10k should be enough resistance... good luck with the project.

I was working off of the Peter Daniel schematic which (if memory serves) calls for a 50k log pot.

Do you think that the advantages of doing the linear pot trick are worth the extra complexity? Are there any drawbacks?

Sorry for questions... but I'm still new to this and Joes description of it went way over my head.

Nuuk said:
If it's not a stupid question, which part of the pot affects the feedback of the Gainclone?

Is it RX, RY or both of them together?

The reason that I ask is that I am using a stepped attenuator of the shunt type with a fixed value for RX.

Both ultimately. I assume you're referring to the inverted Gainclone, yes?

The parallel value of (RX + Rsource) and RY is in series with and adds to the input resistor of the opamp and if this total comes to less than 10 times the value of the feedback resistor, you could be looking at stability problems.

With an attenuator such as yours, the worst case would be at full volume.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.