LME49811 + Sanken STD03N/P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear jackinnj,

So happy to see someone else is experimenting with the LME chips with Sanken STD03N/P's

Please share your experience about sound quality, and share your bias experience, do you stick to the 40mA adviced by Sanken or you get over it?

One question, why is R12 needed? is it not sufficient enough to bias with only P1?

With best regards,
Bas

Sebastiaan said:

Dear jackinnj,

But they will pass current already if you connect a resistor between the diode string in the STD03 in your case P1.
How high you bias the STD03's?
How do you like sound quality?

Looking forward to your response.

With best regards,
Bas

I couldn't set the bias to a low enough level without the resistor.

The diodes need 2.5mA for proper temperature compensation -- so you've got to fiddle with the value of R12 and P1. 820R is a starting value.

jackinnj said:

I couldn't set the bias to a low enough level without the resistor.

The diodes need 2.5mA for proper temperature compensation -- so you've got to fiddle with the value of R12 and P1. 820R is a starting value.

Dear Jackinnj,

Clear I get it, thanks ;)

With the LME49810 I got the specified 2,5mA with 1,1Kohm resistor between the bias pins.

Please keep us informed about how you like the sound quality.

With best regards,
Bas

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Bas,

In my experience with those Sankens, I get better performance with at least 60mA bias current (and the 2.5mA diode current as mentioned). The recommended 40mA bias is best for thermal tracking, but at 60mA the xover distortion is much lower in peak amplitude, and thermal tracking is still pretty good - I have had no issues with thermal runaway at all.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Hello Bas,
art to become
In my experience with those Sankens, I get better performance with at least 60mA bias current (and the 2.5mA diode current as mentioned). The recommended 40mA bias is best for thermal tracking, but at 60mA the xover distortion is much lower in peak amplitude, and thermal tracking is still pretty good - I have had no issues with thermal runaway at all.

Jan Didden

Dear Jan,

Yes I am agree. I use Re's of 0,1 ohm. and run the Sanken's on 80mA (which is a voltage of only 8mV between the NPN and NPN Re's).

Douglas Self advice 25mV. over the Re no matter which application. I tired and IMD get twice lower, but then Thermal run away starts to become an issue with the STD03's sadly enough. So that is not really an option in order to benefit the simple thermal compensated bias method of the STD03's

With best regards,
Bas

Gary P said:
If I understand what Douglas Self is promoting, to run the Sankens at 80ma you would increase the emitter resistors to .3 ohms. This would give you 24mv across Re at your 80ma bias point.

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your response. I stubbornly choose for 0,1 ohm Re's because I prefer the bass response with this lower output impedance with a single pair of transistors.

With kind regards,
Bas

jackinnj said:
yes, Jan -- I've been running them "hot" with no issues -- but I haven't been able to actually listen to the things.

It would be nice to have a better idea of the configuration of the VAS stage -- as it is now you're dealing with a bit of a black box.

Dear jackinnj,

Either I would try to built a truth (cascode?) current source to bias the STD's (like mr. Evil suggested) Or give it a try with the LME49810 which allow you to set a perfect 2,5mA pre bias for the STD03 diodes.

Ps: If you go for a current source for bias you really should take a look to Jan Didden's Elector article of his PAX amplifier design, where he use current sources as well to bias the Diode string.

With best regards,
Bas

Sebastiaan said:
I stubbornly choose for 0,1 ohm Re's because I prefer the bass response with this lower output impedance with a single pair of transistors.
the thermal stability of the output stage is determined by the thermal resistance of the output devices, the supply voltages, the emitter resistors and the transistor gain.
Cordell gave a formula to check this.

High gain transistors and low value emitter resistors can become thermally unstable.

You must raise the value of Re.

Then you can apply the correct Vre.

BTW,
the correct (total) Vre is 26mV at room temperature. This includes the voltage drop across the internal and emitter referenced base resistors as well.
The external Vre will be less than 26mV. It could be considerably less.

I'd suggest 20mV across 0r22 emitter resistors as a starting point.

Mr Evil said:
Is the current from/to N_Out/P_Out constant? If so, then you could replace R12 with a constant current source to save having to adjust it.

Yeah, it's raining here in the PRNJ so instead of putting in lillies and hosta I wll be putting in a CCS.

Andew, I apologize publicly for my prior incendiary remark. I am just really t-ee-d off at Nat Semi's management for canning Troy, Mark and Bob and didn't think clearly before I wrote.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sebastiaan said:

Dear Gary,

Thank you for your response. I stubbornly choose for 0,1 ohm Re's because I prefer the bass response with this lower output impedance with a single pair of transistors.

With kind regards,
Bas

... but the bass response is not determined by the Re, only very remotely so.
I don't think you can measure any difference in Zout between 0.1 or 0.22 ohms, if you figure in all speaker cabling, the output zoble etc. IF there is a difference it will only appear at high frequencies anyway.

Jan Didden

AndrewT said:
the thermal stability of the output stage is determined by the thermal resistance of the output devices, the supply voltages, the emitter resistors and the transistor gain.
Cordell gave a formula to check this.

High gain transistors and low value emitter resistors can become thermally unstable.

You must raise the value of Re.

Then you can apply the correct Vre.

BTW,
the correct (total) Vre is 26mV at room temperature. This includes the voltage drop across the internal and emitter referenced base resistors as well.
The external Vre will be less than 26mV. It could be considerably less.

I'd suggest 20mV across 0r22 emitter resistors as a starting point.

janneman said:

... but the bass response is not determined by the Re, only very remotely so.
I don't think you can measure any difference in Zout between 0.1 or 0.22 ohms, if you figure in all speaker cabling, the output zoble etc. IF there is a difference it will only appear at high frequencies anyway.

Jan Didden

Dear Jan and Andrew,

I know both of you are theoretical right about the higher Re.

In my case the amplifier is for an active speaker. And I tried different Re's from 0,1 ohm till 0,5 ohm. in listening sessions. And 3 other people with me prefer the sound of 0,1 Re and believe me, the difference in sound is very noticeable in terms of "speed" and bass tightness in listening experience.

However the system is thermal stabile with 8mV across both Re's, have never thermal runaway or instabilities. Even after listening session on full power for while the bias get stable fast already and back to it's 8mV. point after a couple of minutes of cooldown.

With best regards,
Bas

Yes, reduce the emitter current in the output device and you reduce it's gain. That reduced gain has the consequence of improved thermal stability.

But reducing the emitter current to below optimum for an EF output stage reduces the sound quality of the amplifier (increased crossover distortion).
I do not know what the optimum value of emitter resistor voltage is, but 8mV sounds too low to me.

If the only way to get optimum bias current is to increase the value of the emitter resistor, then that is the solution you should be pursuing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.