Variable power supply for Gainclone development

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
you should just check the listings every once in a while to see what supplies go for -- HP, Fluke, Lambda, Harrison -- an interesting thing about surplus is that the frequency of appearance on the list is owing to the popularity of an item --

some supplies require a programmer -- you don't want one like this unless it comes with the programming device (or if you know how to write, most are pretty straightforward .)

if you are just starting out I wouldn't go for the Sorensen switching supplies (they can sometimes be very inexpensive)-- not because they aren't a great product, but that you will never be able to fix it if something goes wrong.

http://listings.ebay.com/pool1/plistings/endtoday/all/category32720/index.html?from=R4

AR said:
Funny you should mention the Sorensen. I did notice that they seemed to be somewhat cheaper than the other brands on ebay. Were the older units also switching power supplies? Why can't they be fixed? TIA AR

It's not that they can't be fixed, it's that they would be difficult to troubleshoot for someone who's just getting started out in this area.

Peter Daniel said:
I would suggest that the best approach would be a Variac and 400VA, 24-0-24 transformer. If you come to conclusion that you prefer lower voltage, you ca always remove some windings and the Variac is useful for most anything. I found out that when I power my gainclone PS through the Variac (1:1), the sound improves.
Peter I think that you are absolutely correct with the simplest and most elegant solution. The HP supplies which I use are great beasts, but you are dealing with the peculiarities of voltage amplifiers and have to be able to figure out how to program them. With a Variac there's no fuss, no muss.

How do you make a PS work as +/-?

I've got a dumb question. I've been looking at power supplies on the link to Ebay, and many of them are variable single, dual, triple output but extremely few mention they are capable of +/- 30V (random value). They just say "0-30V variable" or give two different ranges of variable output for the dual and triple supplies.
Is it just a matter of connecting the middle terminal to your project as ground and using the + and - terminals as the positive and negative voltage rails? In that case, does the middle terminal then represent +15V being in the middle of the range, or is it truly 0V ground with the + and - terminals being +15V and -15V respectively?

Peter Daniel said:
I would suggest that the best approach would be a Variac and 400VA, 24-0-24 transformer. If you come to conclusion that you prefer lower voltage, you ca always remove some windings and the Variac is useful for most anything. I found out that when I power my gainclone PS through the Variac (1:1), the sound improves.

I like Peter's idea a lot, and I was hoping perhaps someone might expand to me on how to accomplish the variac and transformer idea. Is it just a standard amplifier power supply with a variac in front of it?

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
You da best
-Erik.

Re: How do you make a PS work as +/-?

e.lectronick said:

I like Peter's idea a lot, and I was hoping perhaps someone might expand to me on how to accomplish the variac and transformer idea. Is it just a standard amplifier power supply with a variac in front of it?

Yes.

This type of arrangement will probably also produce better sound than running your amp from regualted PS bought on ebay.

sorenson = bad karma

hi

i've had nothing but trouble using sorenson supplies at work in the lab. they look nice
but that's about it. incredibly noisy (electrical and fan noise) - yeah they are switching, but
even so! also runs like a jaguar car : i.e. you need two of them, one to drive and the
other to give to the mechanic to fix ;)

my 2c -

p

Re: sorenson = bad karma

psarin said:
hi

i've had nothing but trouble using sorenson supplies at work in the lab. they look nice
but that's about it. incredibly noisy (electrical and fan noise) - yeah they are switching, but
even so! also runs like a jaguar car : i.e. you need two of them, one to drive and the
other to give to the mechanic to fix ;)

my 2c -

p

I have 2 identical MB's -- the 126 series from 1987 -- one is for parts, the other for driving.

I got a bunch of Sorensen 48V switchers used in telco -- these were dirt cheap and surprisingly quiet for early switchers.

the big sorensens are a good example of high voltage, high current in a small package, but their complexity would be beyond the reasonable means of a DIYr to repair. One of these days I will make a PDF of the units so everyone can see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.