Building a 2.1 system. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all experts,

I have search through the this forum for the answer... but I got no luck on it... so I desided to ask this question...

I am another fans of national SemiCon chip. I am just got the interest to build a 2.1 sound system for little movie playback in my study room... Is the any expert have the experience building the similar system. I am prefering LM chip... or any other chip is better for 2.1 system?

..plus active crossover/mixer for the subwoofer? Or does your DVD player/soundcard have a built-in (adjustable?) subwoofer output?

We can of course not support that you look movies in your study room, where you should be learning. :D

There are three-channel ICs LM4781 and LM4782 that would be perfect for that task, but I have not yet seen them anwhere I buy. So it will be the usual suspects LM1875, LM1876, LM3875, LM3886, LM4780.

Do you already have the speakers or will they be part of the effort?

I don't have 2.1 speaker ready yet... but I am preparing the material. including speakers and a DIY 2.1 amplifier.

I have gone through LM4781 and LM4782... as Pacificblue said... i havn't seen them in my country... Not sure Farnell is distributing those chip?

AndrewT, you are right, I am refering a
2.1 system seems like a normal two channel stereo with a mono bass only amplifier & speaker added on. But I have no clue how to make it happened

2.1 speaker system got used mostly because it is cheaper to make ,so people used THE CHEAPEST speakers possible for the stereo channels and the cheapest possible chip for the two amps.

and then one CHEAP speaker that could only handle low frequencies linked to semi better amplifier chip.

IS there any reason you need to use 2.1?

I would highly suggest a 2.0 speaker system rather , which would give superior sound quality and be far easier to design.

If you are doing an amplifier and speaker system yourself. I doubt that cost is really the biggest concern.

You can buy really nice amplifiers and speakers second hand for much cheaper than you can build it.

All I am saying is that.

If you want to build a system yourself. a decent 2.0 system will be less complicated and possibly sound better and be cheaper than building a 2.1 system with 3 different speaker enclosures , crossover circuits and 3 amplifiers.

ya... you are right... I just wander how the 2.1 system being build...
And I have been collecting 2.0 system (LM1875, LM3875, LM3886) info for many years...ever since Carlos is here but never decide to choose which to build.

You guys had contributed many thread in this forum about it but... I don't know where to start...

People's preferences will vary VERY MUCH. You will have to decide which system you want to build.

I would suggest a 2.0 system because this will be the most honest reproduction to the analogue signal that you get from the source.

But the next person will argue you need 2.1 for various reasons.

You will have to decide. How big is the room? How much power do you want?

you might be perfectly happy with two 2 x 1875 and 1 x lm3886 for the subwoofer. For this setup you will need two powersupplies. This means TWO toroidals. And 3 different enclosures for speakers.

How much diy soldering have you done in the past?

A simple solution will be to get one of the kits from one of the numerous suppliers on the web. Build the amplifier. Buy a good set of full range second hand floor standing speakers and see if you are happy.

After this is done , start experimenting with building speaker enclosures, and possibly building a .1 enclosure and amplifier and a crossover.

all these desicions depend on how much diy amplifier building you have done.

Get a plan of action
source and buy parts
assemble
test
experiment and decide what you want to change or add

cwteoh said:
I don't know where to start...
Either at the technical specification or at the budget.

Technical specification could be
- how loud do you wish to listen?
- what frequency range?
- upper or lower size limits for speakers and amplifier(s)?
- mono-block with preamp or integrated stereo?
- how many inputs?
- add-ons? (e. g. equalizer, remote control, etc.)

If you start at the budget, the budget will limit your choices, which will make your decision easier, thus a project more probable.

Split the project into small steps to make each step easier to control and less expensive to abandon, if you don't like the results.

chchyong89 said:
i wish to have a look on a schematic on gainclone with extra one channel build for subwoofer one... but i have being search over google but search return zero result..
build one channel and test it.
If you like the sound, put it in a case.
Then build two copies. You have three monoblocks which you can locate right next to your speakers.

tangmonster said:
People's preferences will vary VERY MUCH. You will have to decide which system you want to build.

I would suggest a 2.0 system because this will be the most honest reproduction to the analogue signal that you get from the source.

But the next person will argue you need 2.1 for various reasons.

You will have to decide. How big is the room? How much power do you want?

you might be perfectly happy with two 2 x 1875 and 1 x lm3886 for the subwoofer. For this setup you will need two powersupplies. This means TWO toroidals. And 3 different enclosures for speakers.

How much diy soldering have you done in the past?

A simple solution will be to get one of the kits from one of the numerous suppliers on the web. Build the amplifier. Buy a good set of full range second hand floor standing speakers and see if you are happy.

After this is done , start experimenting with building speaker enclosures, and possibly building a .1 enclosure and amplifier and a crossover.

all these desicions depend on how much diy amplifier building you have done.

Get a plan of action
source and buy parts
assemble
test
experiment and decide what you want to change or add

these are the questions spinning around my head... I have no problem with my soldering skill... I have not problem with developing PCB...

The only problem I have is... I don't know which system to build...

I plan to build a system for 15x20 feet of room... two 2 x 1875 and 1 x lm3886 for the subwoofer sound good but how? :whazzat: :confused:

Dear all experts,

I have search through the this forum for the answer... but I got no luck on it... so I desided to ask this question...

I am another fans of national SemiCon chip. I am just got the interest to build a 2.1 sound system for little movie playback in my study room... Is the any expert have the experience building the similar system. I am prefering LM chip... or any other chip is better for 2.1 system?

remember the wattage of your left and right out must total the same as your sub output eg. my system i made uses 2 x tda2050 amps to achieve a 25wrms at 4 ohm and a 50watt rms transistor amp i designed its working fine just trying to get rid of the preamp hum please also note you will need a minimum cap bank of 2 x 15000uf 35v caps in order to achieve a decent damping factor as well as a 150va + transformer or else you gonna have strange noices!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.