Quadruple Gainclone - yikes !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, one of the youngsters needed some replacement speakers --replacements for the cheap Polks which came with the computer, we settled on a set of Audax's -- as things would have it the project got curiouser and curiouser due to the response curves of the drivers. I chose a pair of LM1876TF's -- dual 20 Watt chips like the LM3875's -- plus active crossover low and high pass filters on one board: Here's a snapshot of the PCB, 50% of real-life size, before I do the photo-engraving and dipping:

Attachments

• doublegaineclone.jpg
    doublegaineclone.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,946
Sadly I cannot recommend the LM1876. I did several versions with this chip and it sounded nice and the resulting amp can be ridiculously small but the overall sound quality is not comparable to the LM1875 or the LM3875 at all. If you want to make a decent sounding amp you have to choose the latter ones. Ok, for computer speakers it might be enough...

Klaus

Reconfigured

The LM1876 has a slightly worse THD figure than the LM3875, slightly better slew rate, somewhat worse (a few dB CMRR etc.)
I reconfigured the circuit -- used SMT resistors and caps, oriented the LM1876F so that it would fit on the heat sink with the PCB perpendicular to it. The power connector is similar to a 0.156" PC connector.

Attachments

• doublegaineclone.gif
    doublegaineclone.gif
    27 KB · Views: 1,587
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.