Decoupling Cap across the postive and negative pins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is regarding op amp bypassing. I have seen people putting a 0.1uf film/ceramic cap across the positive and negative power supply pins, instead of one cap to the ground for each of the pins. Why? And are there any advantages/disadvantages doing the former instead of the latter (besides saving a bit of money and slightly easier implementation)? Also, is there any point doing both:)?

Hm, I didnt word this correctly at all. Of course, most opamps don't even have a ground pin.

I mean that in the usual Class AB amplification, current flows go from one rail to ground, at a time, which is the path you'd want to bypass, thus having bypass caps from each rail to ground, to assist you with short high-current demand. In such an application, how does a bypass between the rails help, I'm not sure I'm getting it right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.