excelent - new forum - time for another stupid question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im building a gainclone (why still this name? it would be better called - 'really nice amplfier that i can sort of understand')

im using OPA541 chips - but they use a current limiting resistor - as my maximum current is lower then the chips maximum, do i need a resistor there - or should i just connect it to the output?

im building a gainclone (why still this name? it would be better called - 'really nice amplfier that i can sort of understand')

|Good point Fezz. After all we are all human beings (hopefully) but we are not clones. And some of the designs are quite different to the original Gaincards.

So what can we (collectively) call these little beasties if not chip amps?

What about EITEA (pronounced IT) standing for Easily Implemented Top End Amplifier? OK, not very good but what other suggestions are there? :scratch:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
fezz said:

im using OPA541 chips - but they use a current limiting resistor - as my maximum current is lower then the chips maximum, do i need a resistor there - or should i just connect it to the output?

It would be smart to put in a current limit, above the max current you need. That is to protect the chip, and is mucho cheaper than to have to put in a new one after an accidental short or overload.

Jan Didden

i am still thinking about the name, i dont htink it really helps being very tired.

as most other amplfiers we try and copy already have names, most come out as x clones - therefore it would be a gaincard clone be personally i feel that gaincard is a stupid name anyway.

looking at the design of it the amplfier is very simple, but it would not be wize to name it reffering to the fact that (almost) anyone can make it, as this takes away the fact that it also sounds very good.

unfortunatly the name 'zen' is already taken, this seems more applicable to the gainclone due to the small ammount of parts required in construction.

i suppose it could always be called JEEP (just enought essential parts)

Nuuk said:

|Good point Fezz. After all we are all human beings (hopefully) but we are not clones. And some of the designs are quite different to the original Gaincards.

So what can we (collectively) call these little beasties if not chip amps?

What about EITEA (pronounced IT) standing for Easily Implemented Top End Amplifier? OK, not very good but what other suggestions are there? :scratch:

EITEA sounds too much like IKEA .. :)

i agree, we do need more suggestions, so i can stop trying to thinkof some - so far i have come up with Nephron, as they are small capilleries in the kidnies that filter the blood, although overlooked and small, not having them would result in death in about 10 minutes.

the same way any small change in the components of the amplifer vastly alters the sound.

i should stop trying to think of names

I'm down with CHAMP or KISAMP

Or how about

AFKAGC = (The) Amp Formerly Known As GainClone :clown:
LGC = Like GainClone
GCI = GainClone Inspired
BGC = Better than GainCard.
TGLFA = Tastes Great, Less Filling Amp
SSCA = Simple Schematic Chip Amp
MLCA = My Little Chip Amp
GCE = GainClone Experience
CSGA = Cheap Simple Good Amp.

fo Fezz

I agree absolutely that "gainclone" has run it's course. Horrible name. Champs is great.

I just wanted to put in a plug for the BB opa 548- I don't know what the 541 is, chances are they are in the same family.
I have one, yet to be set up. Takes 30-30V
Of interst are the application notes, which show this in paralled mode.( and simpler than the 3886T paralled) Since this has the theoretical power to put 10 amps into four ohms it really deserves a third look at for simple sub setups. Im guessing that everyone knows about per-chip power dissipation so no one will think this is a 300W contiuous-type deal. Just a tad of peak power at hand! Ck it out at TI/BB website.
Fot me, the perfect rear-surround amp.

BTW is it at all possible to consider tantalum caps in the V+/V- bypass mode? ( along with the .1u, of course)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.