More gainclone questions :) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2003, 12:52 AM   #21
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

Winding a toroidal transformer without the right equipment is very difficult from what some of the experienced members in here have said. I wouldn't do it myself. Iv'e made a couple of bobbin inductors but thats a different story.
Old 25th April 2003, 12:58 AM   #22
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
yeah, i'd imagine a torroid would be harder to wind .. but a normal EI core shouldn't be THAT tough .. i could be wrong though ..

in any case .. i thank you philo for all the help .. amazing help i get from you
Old 25th April 2003, 01:03 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Phil,

To tell the truth, I am in somewhat of a unique situation, and one that only occurred to me a few days ago. My flat is only a half mile away from two of the most powerful radio/tv transmitters in the UK, at Crystal Palace.

I too had problems that were solved, ( more through luck than judgement), with earth buzz with the LMs, that don't seem to be a problem with the OPAs, but I have a real problem with RF, so much so that I have now given up on the reduced gainclone, and am trying to limit RF effects as much as possible, and this seems to be a problem especially with the fast CF chips I am playing with with the CFMSS chip amp I am building at present. So I am not sure my findings are relevent to other's situations.

Ho hum
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th April 2003, 01:39 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The toroids I'm using are potted inside, so it's not easy to do some extra windings. I had to break the potted stuff, but I was doing it in order to convert it to 18-0-18 V AC. Otherwise you might have to drill small hole for you LED windings It will work as well. As long as wire is enameled you can wrap it one over the other. The size is about 2.75 by lslightly less than 5" in diameter.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 25th April 2003, 01:45 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

aw man, i didn't even realize that .. how hard would it be drill maybe a 2-3mm hole in the potting compound? and what sort of problems could that create? (like is the potting compound solid or powder?)

ps. i just went to radioshack and bought the hookup wire i need as well as the magnet wire .. i think i'll start constructing the ps cables tonight

as well i gotta finish my speaker cables too!!!

oh and (too many questions) how close to the actual windings would i have to drill the hole? could i just drill it in the middle of the potting compound???

oh AND .. what sort of voltage should i expect for 6 windings?
Old 25th April 2003, 01:53 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

There is actually a hole in the middle of the potting compond for the mounting screw. I would rather drill another one, but it has to be done carefully so you won't damage the existing windings
The compaound is hard, but easy to drill, it's like 2 parts epoxy.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 25th April 2003, 02:08 AM   #27
usekgb is offline usekgb  United States
diyAudio Member

I've actually seen people wrap wire all the way around the outside of the toroid to get the desired voltage to the LED. What is the problem with doing this? No holes to drill.
Old 25th April 2003, 02:09 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

arund the outside of the torroid???
you mean like wrapping it length wise (as opposed to threading it through the hole in the "donut")?
Old 25th April 2003, 02:15 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usekgb
I've actually seen people wrap wire all the way around the outside of the toroid to get the desired voltage to the LED. What is the problem with doing this? No holes to drill.

You might see people wrapping the wire, but did you see the LED giving light? I never tried that, so I don't know. But I tried to wrap toroid like that with a copper band (for shielding) and it never got hot (the copper band)
Old 25th April 2003, 03:51 AM   #30
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usekgb
Well, I was little bored and had a toroidal out and hooked up so I tried both ways;
circumferential (all around the outside, perpendicular to the other windings) and diametric(from outside across the center) configurations and neither worked. I tried the normal way and was succesful.

Usekgb, can you describe the configuration you saw with a little more detail? I think the first method would not be correctly orientated to the field and the second self-canceling.

Hide this!Advertise here!