More gainclone questions :) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2003, 12:52 AM   #11
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Peter, another question for you

on your schematic i see you wound extra 6 windings (i think) around the torroid to get the power for the LED ..

to accomplish this, did you just use insulated 24ish gauge wire and wind it 6 times around the transformer? and is this for the 400VA torroid???

because i'd love to have a nice blue led for the power supply

reason i ask, i just read an article on ESP about transformers, and the way it explained winding extra windings is just use isolated bell wire and do X windings .. is that right? no other modifications required?
can i use the cat5e cable (which is 24 gauge)? or some other cable that i should use?
any suggestions
or should i not attempt this at this time?
Old 25th April 2003, 01:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Philo

On a side note, I dug out my 541 prototype and started messing with it again. I'll try and listen to them again and see why Pinkmouse likes them so much

To quote Mr J Morrison, of a popular beat combo - "People are strange, when you're a stranger..."
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th April 2003, 01:19 AM   #13
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

elizard,
I did the same thing as Peter but with 8 wraps of 26AWG. I also used a load resistor before the LED @ 220ohms, but any resistor 100-300 ohms should work. You can get a three spool pack of magnet wire from Rat Shack for $3 which has what you need for these things. Wrap you winding with some clear packing tape to keep it from shifting. If its to bright, take a winding off and add a little more resistance. Some of those blue LEDs will light up the room and put spots in your vision sitting in front of them.
The transformer idea sounds interesting.
Old 25th April 2003, 01:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

allright .. that makes sense

so basically its the windings, no need for anything but the led and the resistor???

also, i just checked radioshack, they carry 22/26/30g magnet wire (in a 3pack, one of each)
can i use 22g? i guess i could eh?

also i assume i have to make sure the wires don't overlap?
do i need to spread the windings around the ENTIRE circle? or can i concentrate them in like 1/4 of the circle? (the donut actually ..)

and packing tape works? it'll withstand the heat???
Old 25th April 2003, 01:34 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

To quote Mr J Morrison, of a popular beat combo - "People are strange, when you're a stranger..."

when you're strange, faces come out of the rain i tell ya!!!
Old 25th April 2003, 01:34 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I tried something last night with the 541 prototype. I kept the pot in and hooked the amp up behind my preamp. It picked up more fullness(more than the LMs) but got a little to bright. The brightness might be curable with some component swaps. Whats the point? Glad you asked.. No hum. My LM amp always suffered from a low level (uncurable) ground loop hum when hooked up to the pre. Both the prototypes were in the exact same configuration when I tried this but for some reason the 541 is very quiet in the configuration.
Al, have you notice this difference in amp characteristics in your testing? I was thinking about a low level opamp before the main chip to try to control the hum but with the 541 not exhibiting this problem I might look at using it or one of its kin to work with my A/V pre/pro in a multi-channel amp.
Strange, Huh?
Old 25th April 2003, 01:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

elizard,
With such a low level you can use the 30AWG no prob. And you can put it right in the area you need closest to the LED, wound right next to each other as well. What heat? You using a pretty big transformer that I doubt will get even warm unless you're going to "Rock and roll all nite". sigh, I kind of miss KISS. Great music, great controversies. I guess they're kind of tame nowadays.
Old 25th April 2003, 01:44 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

well so far its all good news!

the last question .. what happens if the wires to be wound touch each other at some point? (during the winding)???
is that good/bad???
Old 25th April 2003, 01:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Nothing. Magnet wire, bell wire, motor wire, whatever you want to call it are varnished for insulation. Youl have to sand or scrap off the varnish on the ends before you solder.
Old 25th April 2003, 01:48 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

ok, that's what i thought so ..
my dad used to work with "motor wire" .. which i assume is same as magnet wire

he used to wind/fix motors .. yet he doesn't want to venture into helping w/ a transformer .. what a guy

Hide this!Advertise here!