More gainclone questions :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Phil,

To tell the truth, I am in somewhat of a unique situation, and one that only occurred to me a few days ago. My flat is only a half mile away from two of the most powerful radio/tv transmitters in the UK, at Crystal Palace.

I too had problems that were solved, ( more through luck than judgement), with earth buzz with the LMs, that don't seem to be a problem with the OPAs, but I have a real problem with RF, so much so that I have now given up on the reduced gainclone, and am trying to limit RF effects as much as possible, and this seems to be a problem especially with the fast CF chips I am playing with with the CFMSS chip amp I am building at present. So I am not sure my findings are relevent to other's situations.

Ho hum:rolleyes:

The toroids I'm using are potted inside, so it's not easy to do some extra windings. I had to break the potted stuff, but I was doing it in order to convert it to 18-0-18 V AC. Otherwise you might have to drill small hole for you LED windings ;) It will work as well. As long as wire is enameled you can wrap it one over the other. The size is about 2.75 by lslightly less than 5" in diameter.

aw man, i didn't even realize that .. how hard would it be drill maybe a 2-3mm hole in the potting compound? and what sort of problems could that create? (like is the potting compound solid or powder?)

ps. i just went to radioshack and bought the hookup wire i need as well as the magnet wire .. i think i'll start constructing the ps cables tonight :)

as well i gotta finish my speaker cables too!!! :)

oh and (too many questions) how close to the actual windings would i have to drill the hole? could i just drill it in the middle of the potting compound???

oh AND .. what sort of voltage should i expect for 6 windings?

usekgb said:
I've actually seen people wrap wire all the way around the outside of the toroid to get the desired voltage to the LED. What is the problem with doing this? No holes to drill.

You might see people wrapping the wire, but did you see the LED giving light? I never tried that, so I don't know. But I tried to wrap toroid like that with a copper band (for shielding) and it never got hot (the copper band);)

usekgb said:
I've actually seen people wrap wire all the way around the outside of the toroid to get the desired voltage to the LED. What is the problem with doing this? No holes to drill.

Well, I was little bored and had a toroidal out and hooked up so I tried both ways;
circumferential (all around the outside, perpendicular to the other windings) and diametric(from outside across the center) configurations and neither worked. I tried the normal way and was succesful. :nod:

Usekgb, can you describe the configuration you saw with a little more detail? I think the first method would not be correctly orientated to the field and the second self-canceling.

The one's I've seen so far are diametric. The windings go over the top, down the side, across the bottom and back up. It usually takes about six turns or so from what I've seen. I haven't actually tried this, but I've seen working models of people's who have. Try winding a few turns of wire around your toroid that way and measure the AC voltage coming off the two leads. You should be getting something. If you need more voltage, just add a few more windings untill you get the coltage you need. If it doesn't work, let me know so I won't do it.

Shorted turns

FYI, from Plitron's technical notes:

Shorted Turn Condition
A completed path by any conductor passing through the center of toroidal transformer, around the outside is a shorted turn (eg: the top of the mounting bolt shorted to the chassis). As with any short circuit, this condition will give rise to high circulating currents, and high heat. The transformer may be damaged beyond repair.

se

yes .. but this isn't a completed circuit .. or am i wrong?
since you do the windings, then run one end through a diode, then to an LED, then to the other end

just like the normal secondaries .. so long as you don't touch the two wires, you're ok ..
running them through a circuit is no problem

elizard said:
yes .. but this isn't a completed circuit .. or am i wrong?
since you do the windings, then run one end through a diode, then to an LED, then to the other end

Well unless it's a completed circuit, your LEDs aren't going to work. To get an LED to light up requires a complete circuit.

just like the normal secondaries .. so long as you don't touch the two wires, you're ok ..
running them through a circuit is no problem

Depends on the impedance of the circuit. If the impedance of the circuit is too low, there most certainly can be problems.

se

yeah .. sorry, didn't type it properly ..
it is a completed circuit, but the impedence of the circuit is more than enough to prevent a short like they're describing ..

they're describing taking a piece of wire and just looping it through connecting both ends .. not good at all!

elizard said:
yeah .. sorry, didn't type it properly ..
it is a completed circuit, but the impedence of the circuit is more than enough to prevent a short like they're describing ..

they're describing taking a piece of wire and just looping it through connecting both ends .. not good at all!

But you said previously just using a wire, a diode and an LED.

Anyway, I only brought up the issue of shorted turns so people might think twice before willy-nilly looping wires through toroids. :)

se

Steve,
I am not sure what your saying. Would adding a small secondary of six turns creating @4V and few hundred mA cause a problem in a large toroid? I not sure what the effect on the rest of the transformer would be. Would this translate to heat in the other windings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.