im an stupid? (comparing SQ)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, let me introduce my question....

i was testing all the weekend 2 diferents amps

A - AudioSector Premium Kit LM3886 (1 hour burned)
B - Mauros GC (like 50 hours burned)

and i really cant find big diferences in sound!

Mainly the bass sound are diferent and the main diference that i found is that Amp B sounds like if more intruments/sounds are in the background, while Amp A sounds like more defined, with no extra sounds. Something like the sound are a little more defined,
Is that possible?

what i need to do to compare, how is possible that i cant find too much diference? :S

All the amps will sound the same :S

I have 1 LM3886 Standard kit to build, 1 LM4780 and others will tesst it maybe next week, now i will build the case for each mono amp.

I was comparing it playing the music at mono (same output in the diferents channels of the source), and using one amp/channel.

Re: Re: im an stupid? (comparing SQ)

analog_sa said:

Millions (billions?) of people will hear even less difference. Not to mention some contributors at diyaudio who can scientifically prove there can be no difference. Otoh, comparing amps in mono is indeed stupid.

Comparing amps in mono is the best way to do it.

What speaker do you have? What source have you used?

Re: Re: Re: im an stupid? (comparing SQ)

tpsorin said:

What speaker do you have? What source have you used?

well some say that comparing amps in mono is indeed stupid. Others say that is the way to go :S

Damn, audio world is really hard to understand :)

Speakers that i have are Full Range CSS FR125S. Source PC with Onkyo SE-200 Sound Card (nice Card).

I assume the A and B amps are based on LM3886, I found amps with similar topology will give you similar sound characteristics. This assumes all being equal, eg no coupling caps or bypass caps on both, etc.

I am fairly confident that your new amp 4780 will sound similar too, dual LM3886 in one package.

You will find the LM3875 sounds slightly different. So do LM1875 etc. All chipamps have certain character very different from the T-amp.

Cheers

Re: Re: Re: Re: im an stupid? (comparing SQ)

samsagaz said:

well some say that comparing amps in mono is indeed stupid. Others say that is the way to go :S

Damn, audio world is really hard to understand :)

Depends on what the comparison is about. With a mono setup you can logically not find out, how good the spatial illusion is. On the other hand, if you use stereo, impulses are smeared and accuracy suffers. So you would attribute faults to the amplifier that are really due to the room, setup and speaker interaction.

Do both tests, mono and stereo.

Differences between amplifiers are usually small, and the better amplifiers are, the smaller are the differences. The differences that you heard, which seem small to you are a big issue for some people, others cannot even perceive them at all.

If you want big improvements, invest money and effort in speakers and the acoustic treatment of your room.

Re: Re: Re: im an stupid? (comparing SQ)

tpsorin said:

Really? It seems detecting minute timing differences between the ears is the one truly outstanding capability of the ear-brain interface. If you are building an amp for a mono setup, by all means make comparisons in mono.

Interestingly this observation is not new. At the time of the Williamson amplifier many builders found that while it was great in mono it was rather disappointing in stereo.

samsagaz said:

and i really cant find big diferences in sound!

either
a) Better speakers would show more difference
or
b) Better hearing would show more difference
or
c) There's little difference between the amps.

The occurrence of 'C' is vastly underestimated. If we make an effort to improve a device (those cool new op amps), we tend to hear an improvement. Blind testing reveals the truth, but often our self-constructed reality is more fun. Fun is good.

Re: Re: im an stupid? (comparing SQ)

dzzmiller said:

either
a) Better speakers would show more difference
or
b) Better hearing would show more difference
or
c) There's little difference between the amps.

The occurrence of 'C' is vastly underestimated. If we make an effort to improve a device (those cool new op amps), we tend to hear an improvement. Blind testing reveals the truth, but often our self-constructed reality is more fun. Fun is good.

Couldn't agree more!
I built a little 'cap switcher' to compare input caps on my 3886 chipamp- the differences between caps are very subtle- if they are there at all.....to my ears....with my speakers....with the 3886amp.
I'm sure that if I upgraded the speakers or amps with an infusion of $20,000, my ears would hear a difference! (or else!)

John
Audio is part of the entertainment business, don't forget!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.