Newbie project - LM1875 or LM3875

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First of all thank you to everyone here. You are such a great source of information for a total beginner such as myself.

I am considering building a chip amp and from what I can tell it seems like the LM1875 is the favourite of these two chips but I am concerned that it won't be enough to drive my speakers. I have Kef iq3's, 8 ohm, 89 dB. (spec - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2490 )

Which chip would you recommend for my purposes?

Also, would It be correct to say that the LM1875 has a more laid back smoother sound? My KEF's are quite aggressive and trebbly as they are so I wouldn't want to emphasise that any further.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you

Hi,
I think those KEF speakers are 4 to 8ohm and not 8ohm.
See the spec for minimum impedance of 3.2ohms.

If these are using a 4ohm or 5ohm bass/mid driver with an 8ohm treble driver then you must design the amp as a 4ohm capable amplifier.

The 3875 has a current limit ~ 60% of the 3886. The 1875 has an even lower current limit.
I would recommend neither the 3875 nor the 1875 for this 4 to 8 ohm duty.

mantisory said:
you could use two transformers but a dual-secondary transformer will work just fine...Peter has a guide to the build of his kit somewhere on the site (I think it's a sticky in the chipamp forum)
Byron

Would this transformer be suitable for the audiosector kit (i think it is dual secondary)?
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=9532838

On the kit guide he recommends a transformer with 220VA. Would that be per secondary or overall?

Thank you

Hi,
yes it's just right.

Check the open circuit output voltage when you recieve it.
The voltage specification is 230:18+18.
On a 240Vac supply, the full load output voltage will be 18.78Vac.
The regulation is 7%. The open circuit voltage when fed with 240Vac will be 20.1Vac.
The peak voltage is then 28.4Vpk.
Add on the maximum from UK mains @ +6% (254Vac) and the maximum peak voltage will be 30.1V
Subtract 0.5V for a low current loss through the rectifier diode.
This leaves the worst case maximum DC voltage after the rectifier of about 29.6Vdc. This cannot be used with 25Vdc capacitors. Use 35V or 40V capacitors, or higher if you have the money and the space.

The 220VA will support between 110W and 220W of total output power. Two channels of 60W each come within that range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.