Tested output swing on small chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to test output swings on some ICs for battery use. I wanted to know what could deliver the max output voltage swing under load for maximum output/clipping headroom for limitations of battery use. (I'm aware of digital amps and BTL, but this is for single ended analog here). Here is the my data to share.

AMPs were tested at 9 volts DC (regulated supply), 440Hz sine, 5 Ohm non inductive load. Output was scoped and set to max output voltage swing the chip would deliver just before clipping.

IC, Vo rms, Vo pk-pk, Power in to load (non clipping)
TDA1517, 2.46, 6.96, 1.2w
TDA2003, 2.54, 7.18, 1.3w
TDA7231A, 2.19, 6.19, 0.96w
LM386, 1.70, 4.81, 0.58w

The TDA2003 is the "swing king". Being a quasi comp. amp with no bootstrap, I'm not sure how it accomplishes this.

The 1517 is my top pick given its easy to use low part count and dual amps on a chip. It is right up there with the 2003. It is best used at 10 volts or more Vs as it shuts down at around 8 volts.

The TDA7231A This IC starts to fall behind. I hope TDA7267 version performs better as it has a complementery output for wider swing.

The LM386 was not ment to drive this low impediance at 9v Vs, but it shows how weak this IC is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.