How much to pay for torroid in UK?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone indicate how much I would be expecting to pay for a torroid transformer?
I have been quoted £75 + £10 P&P from Amethyst-designs (Cambridge based company).
This is for a custom wound item, which I expect to pay more for, however £85 is starting to push the boundaries of my 'cheap' chip amp.
Specs for the torroid are 150VA per channel , twin secondaries @ 20V.
Can anyone recommend a cheaper supplier? I had no response from Airlink - after several phone calls and emails to them enquiring - I have been waiting for a sales person to get back to me for 6 months but given up now, they cant be interested in small orders.

andyburlow said:
.........This is for a custom wound item, .........................Specs for the torroid are 150VA per channel , twin secondaries @ 20V.
Hi,
twin 20Vac secondary 150VA is a standard and readily available transformer.
Why do you need a custom version?

Rapid, Farnell and RS have been selling off their non ROHS stock at reduced prices for the past year. Don't know what might still be left.

I'd be willing to be this would do:

http://export.farnell.com/block/rk160-22/transformer-160va-2-x-22v/dp/1419573?_requestid=737411

very few things need such close tolerances that 2v would make any odds and the VA rating can be increased to anything higher than 150VA really; it'll just be a waste to get something massively oversized. This should be fine for the chipamp :)

You may even be able to get one cheaper than this, this is a quality make, yet it's still much cheaper than your custom one! I think this will be a free postage item, it is enough value to place a card order online anyhow.

Thanks for the replies, following the first reply I think I acted too hastily and tried the suggested companies.
Couldnt find anything on Farnells site, RS was down and then settled with Antrim who are custom making one for £76.
AndrewT - I was looking for a custom item as I couldnt find one 'off the shelf' and knowing no better (this is my first chipamp/electonics project) I have ordered said item.
Oh well you live and learn - at least I should get a quality torroid at that price.
I have tried to stop looking at what I could buy in the world of ready made integrated amps, as this project is already reaching over £120 when I include the cost of the boards and case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.