Gainclone questions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2003, 04:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I added 10,000 to my 1.000u rails and it actually stopped shining. And cables from PS to the amp make big difference indeed. I choose the cables according to the feedback resistor type I use to achieve most neutral sound.

Here's the little graph showing different power levels with regard to supply voltage for LM3875. My preference now is about 22v AC with 400VA Plitron. It seems to be more dynamic than 18V rails gainclone. You also stated interest in using OPA541. I tried OPA549 and prefer LM3875, because it produces more emotions with the music. OPA maybe sounds more correct, but more lifeless also.
Attached Images
File Type: gif po.gif (11.4 KB, 1129 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 20th April 2003, 07:04 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If you had only Parts Express and Mouser to order from... which caps and resistors would you go with? I am putting a limited, unlimited budget up here. I mean, I cannot spend $100 on this... but I figured it up with a Solen 3.3uF input cap, Vishay/Dale 1% 1/2W resistors, a cheap ($2.35) 10k Xicon audio pot from Mouser, Nichicon UPW power caps, and fairly cheap gold plated RCA and binding posts. The total was about $30.

What power caps are best from Mouser? Anything I should change parts-wise?
Old 20th April 2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

Why only them? For your filter caps I would go with the Panasonic FC 1000uF/50V for $2.40 apiece from DigiKey. You can Dale NH65 resistors from them as well and get some Mills 10Kresistors from PartExpress. Input caps are up to your preference but a nice polypropylene or polycarbonate from either of the companies would work well.
Old 20th April 2003, 10:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

noticed apexjr has panasonic 1000uf 100v very cheap
must be TS series based on the 100v
anybody knows how they compare to the touted FC series?
Old 20th April 2003, 11:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

When are people going to realize that a resistor from output to supply rail is NOT biasing anything to Class A in a gainclone?
Old 21st April 2003, 02:30 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

If your source doesn't pass any DC, forget Solen coupling cap and you save even more. Also Solen might not be a best choice here if you care about good sound. I would probably also use Panasonic FC caps and Dale/Vishay resistors.
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 21st April 2003, 02:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tschrama
When are people going to realize that a resistor from output to supply rail is NOT biasing anything to Class A in a gainclone?
Well it is a half-assed class-A. It does keep half the complimentary output conducting througout the full 360 degrees.

se
Old 21st April 2003, 07:17 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It does keep half the complimentary output conducting througout the full 360 degrees.
But at what level? We're talking 20mA or so through the biasing resistor, right?
Old 21st April 2003, 02:21 PM   #19
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

when using an electrolytic as input cap, does it has to be non-polar?

I made a gainclone with the OPA541 and found it to be nothing special. Used BC resistors and film caps and samsung electrolytics, nothing fancy, so maybe the chip is not to blame...

Miguel
Old 21st April 2003, 02:24 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

How much filter capacitance did you use? The coupling cap can be polar, but you can also remove it completely, if you don't have nothing fancy to us in that location. Just check DC offset to be safe.

Making a gainclone to sound special is not that easy.

Hide this!Advertise here!