Looking for ultimate Chips for Home Theatre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently, I have completed my First DIY Home theatre with TDA1554q (car amp - Single Supply) It's sounding good for me. I want to know is there any best chip/amplifier than TDA1554q for home theatre ?

TDA1554q was selected ..
1) due to availability to my place.
2) Due to few Component count.
3) Stereo, I used midrange & Tweeter one IC per channel (Big advantage to me)
4) works on 12 to 15V
5) Using this chip for Subwoofer but not satisfied.

Thank you & Regards.

1) Simple to build. ( I may prefer 4 x 25 watt Car audio )
2) "ULTIMATE" in sound quality
3) Price does not matter ( Chip should be easy available )
4) Power Output 25 Watt per Speaker i.e. Mid/Woofer 25 watt + Tweeter 25 watt = 50 Watt Per channel

I wish to know the audio/sound quality difference between...
Amplifier having [ (+),(-), Ground ] supply AND Amplifier having [ (+), Ground ]

Differences for both Amplifier & Pre-amplifier (Crossover)

pra3718 said:
1) Simple to build. ( I may prefer 4 x 25 watt Car audio )
2) "ULTIMATE" in sound quality
Car audio ICs and ultimate sound quality exclude each other more or less. Read through the forum. You will find most of your answers are already there.

pra3718 said:
4) Power Output 25 Watt per Speaker i.e. Mid/Woofer 25 watt + Tweeter 25 watt = 50 Watt Per channel
What is the impedance? You will need around ±23-24 V for 25 W into 8 Ohm and around ±17-18 V for 25 W into 4 Ohm.

Is there any particular reason, why you want 25 W per speaker? Did you find out, what W are good for?

You could have drawn some conclusions from your first project:
- the woofer usually needs more power than the tweeter.
- 25 W is little for a woofer
- 25 W is a lot for a tweeter.

Your current setup is a good opportunity to get a deeper understanding about electronics, speakers and their interaction. Don't build anything new, before you know, what you are doing. Tweak, what you have and see, how it turns out.
- Start with a new transformer with a single secondary 12 V 15 A for your amplifiers.
- Use the transformer you have to build a split power supply for your preamp/crossover.
- Find out more about your speakers and fine tune the speaker enclosures and the crossover to them. There is also a loudspeaker forum here.
- Use the search function of the forum and learn about hum and noise issues and how other people solved them. Try, if anything that worked for them, works for you.

audio chips for home theatre

hi
greetings i have made a simple home theatre using tda2052
output as specified by st electronics 50 watts plus minus25 volts dc
supply very cheap 30 rupees each easily available can post pcb pattern if interested
thanking you
andrew lebon

pacificblue Now I understood that Woofer needs more power than tweeter. You know My amp its sounding good for high & Mid frequency I have installed tweeter (BRAND=SHARP) it's sounding high frequency very good. Passive crossover installed before amping. From one month approx. I am working for subwoofer. All of you have teach me good electronics. My pre-amp & amp has no error but it's ability to drive the sub is poor, becoz I need more power for sub. ( I have searched at NET & found nobody using car amp for home theatre )

Start with a new transformer with a single secondary 12 V 15 A for your amplifiers.

At my place 5 A is MAX available for 12-0 V

Use the transformer you have to build a split power supply for your preamp/crossover

Here I want to ask you : now my preamp is working on single supply. If I run it on split power supply then my subwoofer sound will improved ? ( I am ready to scrap my current preamp )

@ DigitalJunkie I using tda1554q

@ andrewlebon Please post schematic for tda2052. Should I try for subwoofer ? If you are using it please post sub-crossover.

Thank you & Regards.

pra3718 said:
At my place 5 A is MAX available for 12-0 V
You can connect several in parallel, if they are exactly the same transformer type.

:att'n: Don't connect them in parallel, if they are different types. With different transformer types you will need to build separate power supplies for each transformer and connect groups of your amplifiers to them, e. g. woofer and tweeter of one channel to one power supply, woofer and tweeter of the other channel to the second power supply, etc.

Or you can look elsewhere, e. g. here or here or in a lamp shop, where they sell halogen lighting. They need 12 V transformers with high power rating as well, but don't buy an electronic transformer for that purpose.

pra3718 said:
Here I want to ask you : now my preamp is working on single supply. If I run it on split power supply then my subwoofer sound will improved ?
It will not give you more output power. And it will also not help you, if the enclosure for the subwoofer and the driver are mismatched. E. g. an enclosure that is too small, will reduce the maximum sound pressure level that you can achieve. A woofer with Thiele/Small parameters for a bass-reflex enclosure will give unsatisfying results in a closed box with whatever amplifier. A woofer with too little stroke will not be able to convert additional amplifier power into additional sound pressure level.

pra3718 said:
( I am ready to scrap my current preamp )
Don't. You will still need it.

A good pure digital amplifier will get you an extremely high SNR and no low level analog signals that are sensitive to noise. Of course, your source device would have to be able to output digital in order to use a pure digital amplifier. Hybrid digitals work with analog devices but get a lower, though still very good, SNR. (One chip that comes to mind is the TPA3122D2 since that's what my friend used in one of his projects.)

There is no problem with using separate power supplies for the different channels and may in fact be cheaper than one large power supply.

Hi, star882,

Maybe I missed something, but as far as I know there are no digital power amplifiers available anywhere yet. Neither commercially nor as kits nor as schematics for DIY use.

There are switching amplifiers that are all analog devices called class D amps, and there is a separate section in the forum for them. Link.

All the IC proposals you have posted so far belong to that class of amplifiers. There are no hybrids either. If you want to drive those amplifiers from a digital output, e. g. S/PDIF, you will still need a D/A converter.

pacificblue said:
Hi, star882,

Maybe I missed something, but as far as I know there are no digital power amplifiers available anywhere yet. Neither commercially nor as kits nor as schematics for DIY use.

There are switching amplifiers that are all analog devices called class D amps, and there is a separate section in the forum for them. Link.

All the IC proposals you have posted so far belong to that class of amplifiers. There are no hybrids either. If you want to drive those amplifiers from a digital output, e. g. S/PDIF, you will still need a D/A converter.
They're digital since the transistors are either on or off (binary). Pure digitals (which accept digital input) do exist and the name that first comes to mind is TI Purepath. Cirrus Logic also makes some pure digital chips.

Hybrid digitals accept analog input and use delta-sigma to convert it into a bitstream for amplification. Most, but not all, "digital" amplifiers that accept analog input are hybrids. A notable exception is the CS4525. That's a pure digital with an ADC for analog compatibility. The CS3511, however, is a hybrid.

star882 said:
They're digital since the transistors are either on or off (binary).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier
Quote from that site:
"Class D and Class E amplifiers are sometimes mistakenly described as "digital" because the output waveform superficially resembles a pulse-train of digital symbols, but a Class D amplifier merely converts an input waveform into a continuously pulse-width modulated (square wave) analog signal."

star882 said:
A notable exception is the CS4525. That's a pure digital with an ADC for analog compatibility.
Quote from the CS4525 datasheet: "The CS4525 is a stereo analog or digital input PWM high efficiency Class D amplifier audio system..."

The marketing guys call it digital, because the built-in digital sound processors justify that choice of words in their eyes and it sounds sexier. It is still an analog amplifier.

pacificblue said:
The marketing guys call it digital, because the built-in digital sound processors justify that choice of words in their eyes and it sounds sexier. It is still an analog amplifier.
Actually look at the block diagram and you'll find that it is a pure digital. Contrast it to the CS3511 which is a hybrid. There's also TI's TAS5701 which is a pure digital without analog compatibility.

You can connect several in parallel, if they are exactly the same transformer type.

1) How can I connect two transformer i.e. 12-0 [5amp] & 12-0 [5amp] Is that equal to 12-0 [10amp] transformer. If it is possible pl. post the circuit.

2) How to remove power switch on/switch off noise. tda1554q has muting function (Pin-14). How can I use it. Do you know any VERY SIMPLE load sensing circuit ?

the woofer usually needs more power than the tweeter.

3) Which Chip (amp) I should use for sub-woofer suitable to my Power supply ( Single supply - 15V ) for 4 Ohm speaker.

4) what is the ratio of watts... satellite speaker to subwoofer
Is like that all 5 channel total = subwoofer i.e. 20x5 channel = 100 so subwoofer should be 100 watts.

Thank you & Regards.

Hi,
the ratio of power any bass driver to any mid or treble driver is determined by the ratio of their sensitivities.

eg.
a 90dB/W/m 8ohm treble driver needs exactly the same voltage as a 90dB/W/m 8ohm mid driver and exactly the same as a 90dB/W/m 8ohm bass driver.

Change the sensitivity or the impedance of the driver and the drive voltage requirement changes in proportion.

An 84dB bass driver requires twice the voltage (four times the power) of a 90dB mid driver.
An 84dB bass driver needs four times the drive voltage (sixteen times the power) of a 96dB treble driver if all are the same impedance.

Select your drivers.
Select your maximum SPL from each driver. I suggest you choose drivers that are capable of similar maximum SPL.
Select the voltage required to achieve your target maximum SPL.
Select the amplifier output stage that can supply that drive voltage and the peak transient current that the driver will demand with those peak transient voltages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.