Use a single secondary x-former as dual PSU?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I whant to use a transformer with a 30V secondary winding to a dual +/- 15V rail supply.
I have heard that a 100K-100K voltage devider (virtual ground) is not a good solution, which need DC-blocking coupling capacitors in the signal path.

The psu is for a lowpass active filter using OP270 chips.

Any sugestions for a PSU circuit?

Brgds
/Pix
Sweden

How about this?

Im my case I will have a rather symetric rail load (all op-amps)
And want to made it as simple as possible (-but still good).
The load will be 3pcs OP270 = aprox 15mA and I could easylly have 15mA trough the shunt regulator chain.

I have a lot of LM431 adjustable shunt regulators for the rail regulation.
Would´nt this simple circuit work? (regulation and virtual earth all at ones)
The LM431 regulator has a very low output impedance.

psu.jpg

Brgds
/Pix
Sweden

Re: How about this?

pixworld said:
Im my case I will have a rather symetric rail load (all op-amps)
No.
The vast majority of opamps are ClassAB.
the quiescent current is probably symmetric (i.e. no ground current in quiescent state) but not guaranteed.
The output current is non symmetric. It comes alternately from either supply rail.

If Iq=2mA and Imax =30mApk, then the supply rail will vary from 2mA to 32mApk to meet that demand. The other supply rail variation is just as bad.

I concur. To get the lowest noise, highest dynamic range and highest quality preamps, do it properly, CT transformer, with 3 pin regulators.
You want your preamp power supply to be amazing.
Op-amps already have a very good power CMMR, but you can never have enough good quality dc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.