DIY Amplifier Suggestions - on a tight budget - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2003, 07:25 PM   #91
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
update:

i just received the parts from partsconnexion, very good .. everything was in order, and i was charged less than i thought i would (i guess they don't have a minimum $25 order for canada?)

so .. tomorrow, or wednesday possibly, i will start the construction of the amp minus the transformer .. i will try to make the layout for everything, solder what needs to be soldered, bolt the rest, and hopefully all goes well
Old 28th April 2003, 07:28 PM   #92
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
oh, and to make things better (totally unrelated) i've picked up a beatles best-of record (67-70), two pink floyd records (final cut, and dark side .. dark side includes the 2 posters and the sticker!!!) and a jeff beck record (beck-ola), all for $20CAD
not too shabby i'd say .. all records in mint shape, the beatles ones have a bit of pops, need a little cleaning, but overall VERY good

now if only i could do good on my last exam today .. already wrote one, one more to go .. pain!!!
Old 13th July 2003, 03:27 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

JAZZ - Cool layout, cool photo. This is a perfect thread for a noob.

I'm printin' the whole damn thing out.

GnD
Old 13th July 2003, 03:38 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

Dumb question-

What is the difference between the LM3875 and the LM3875TF?

No laughing, please...

GnD
Old 13th July 2003, 04:49 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

The LM3875T (more common?) has a non-isolated tab...the metal part sticking out...the LM3875TF's tab is plastic...meaning it's isolated...honestly though...you could get those chips for free from national's samples program...I used it and build my first GC for under SGD$100...nice sound...however lacking bass...any idae how to beefen it up??
Old 13th July 2003, 05:05 AM   #96
diyAudio Member

Thanks-

Assuming i want to bolt it to a heatsink that is also grounded to the chassis, would it be ok to bolt the metal tab of the LM3875T directly there?

If it is non-isolated, I am assuming it is at ground?

TIA, GnD
Old 13th July 2003, 05:07 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

I dun think you can do that..coz I believe the tab is tied to -VE...so if your heatsink is grounded...poof...
Old 13th July 2003, 05:14 AM   #98
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

And if you aren't using a grounded heatsink and you don't isolated the LM3875T, thouching the heatsink makes you go poof.

You'd have to use insulating pads with the LM3875T. I find it much easier and just plain better to use the LM3875TF, simplifies it alot.
Old 13th July 2003, 05:16 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

I dun think touching the heatsink will kill you...but that will also depend on certain conditions like if you are standing on wet ground...you might want to go with the LM3875TFs...I use them and I have no complains...so far at least
Old 14th July 2003, 09:09 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

li_gangyi,
i also just finished my first gainclone this past weekend. extremely happy with the sound, however i have the same observation as you, that the gain clone is lacking bass....otherwise it's almost perfect.

Hide this!Advertise here!