A Simple opamp question?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I know that is not the right place for that..
But I've asked this question in "digital forum" and have no question until now..
Anyway, I am expecting to have an answer in here as usual :)
The question is simple;
I am designing an USB DAC and using PCM2702.. The digital part is not the matter of here...
For the LPF stage, I thought that an AD8397 will be a good choice because of its output current capability. With this way I expect to have a headphone output (like Amb guys did) also.. So I have designed a simple 2nd order LPF circuit with some gain (2x) for AD8397. This gain is added to drive both 32/64R headphones..
Now the question comes;
I am not sure to use that op-amp as both LPF and headphone driver.. I dont know but it seems "too good to be true".. What do you say about that? Will I have good results with that configuration?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PS: LPF R/C values defined by trying on the simulation and the corner frequency is ~85Khz ..:)

Dxvideo:
- appears to a 2-pole Sallen-Key configuration
- at fc 85kHz, opamp GBP should be above 8.5mHz

Comments:
- I see ringing/oscillation on my sim, with your values (see phase plot exceeding 180deg rule)
- slight peaking, approx. +0.4db @ 24khtz
- consider increasing input coupling from 1uF to 4uF (improves low-freq phase response)
- consider Bessel filter configuration (better group delay and overshoot characteristics, look up "Blauert and Laws")

Hope this helps....

Attached:
- zipped sim Bode, transient plots and suggested Bessel schematics and comparison plots (823kB)
http://premium1.uploadit.org/bichi007//1-DxVideo-LPF-Schematics-Result-Plots.zip

REFS:
Active Low-Pass Filter Design (Rev. B)
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/techdocsabstract.tsp?abstractName=sloa049b

Active Filter Design Application
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/filterpro.html

I have no buffer before this circuit.. Directly connected to PCM2702s outputs..
Anyway,
This is what I see in my simulation;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The red line is frequency response and the blue dotted line is the phase..
I cannot see any oscillation, do you notice any?
And, concerning the source impedence; I have added a series 10K to the signal source and have no difference on both phase and frequency plot!
May you explain this issue a bit more please..
Thanks a lot for your comments..

By the way,
Dear Bichi, I ve just noticed that you made a simulation for me.. Thanks a lot for this.
As I see there is no problem with my simulator since I have exactly the same results..
The slight peaking on 24hz you mentioned is calculated by me to reduce the slope affect on 20Khz band.. (May be because I like treble details too much :) ) Otherwise there a -0,5dB affect on 20Khz point.. Or the worst is I have to extend the frequency response till 200Khz to reduce this... So to put a peak on 24Khz seemed a good idea to me..
Anyway, another thanks for the software.. Now I am using it and already calculated some other combinations..
Any special recommendation on filter type for especially audio circuits?

DxVideo:
- you will not "see" real-time oscillation, on Bode or Phase plots.
- indicator is phase rotation, over frequency. (phase margin)

Tips:
- input a frequency, say 7.5kHz at 1Vrms and watch it on "virtual" sim oscilloscope on your simulator.
- or take a look at the "transient" plots I made for you, and compare your values with the Bessel values.
- or input the Bessel values on your simulator and see the differences.

Easier:
- input your values on "online simulator tool," Sallen-Key and look at line: "Oscillation frequency."
- if the design is not prone to oscillation, it will state: "This system does not oscillate."
- I see "Oscillation frequency: f = 63527.1933944[Hz]" with your values, indicating a possible oscillation problem.

Page Navigation to Sallen-Key Tool:
Tech Tools -> Engineering Design Utilities -> Filter Tool -> Sallen-Key Active Filter -> Sallen-Key Low-pass Filter Tools

Online Sallen-Key Low-Pass Filter Design Tool:
http://translate.google.com/transla...ult&prev=/search?q=okawa-denshi.jp&hl=en&sa=G

Good Luck!

Dxvideo said:
By the way,
Dear Bichi, I ve just noticed that you made a simulation for me.. Thanks a lot for this....
...Any special recommendation on filter type for especially audio circuits?

Ah, just saw your reply and you are welcome!
- ummm, I prefer Bessel with MFB topology, instead of Sallen-Key or Butterworth.
- if you search "Audio Bessel Filter," you will find detailed papers/theories and opinions.
- lastly, I like the sound Bessel filters produce, especially filtering/reconstructing after high-performance (up to 192kHz sample rate) Delta-Sigma type DACs.
- last comment, SMT (surface mount), careful layout and decoupling required for best performance.

This is the new one.. Based on TI Filter Pro calculations for
Bessel+MFB (as you recommended) and x2 gain...
By the way,
I am already designed a PCB for it.. However I am not good at working with SMD resistors and caps :( And the PCB is mostly fullfill with "normal" components.. Do you think it causes any problem?
PS: I will post my PCB design in the day.

DxVideo,

- hard to predict "leaded component" performance vs. SMT, without seeing and testing physical design.
- 1% resistors, NPO/COG 5% capacitors are preferred. (SMT PPS film caps sounded "harsh" to me)
- capacitors should not be below 20pf and larger value resistors (50k+), can add Johnson (thermal) noise.
- attention to groundplane is key.
- opamp power rail decoupling is an important factor (10 to 100nF, X7R ceramic, close to opamp power pins to groundplane)
- larger, power rail decoupling capacitors (10 to 100uF electrolytics) should be less than 1cm from opamp power pins.
- depending on your power-supply decoupling, quality and location, some prefer low-ESR, electrolytic without smaller ceramic.

I think I have a situation with this opamp!
With this design (the new one) the simulator shows ~19mV DC offset on outputs which is quite high for a headphone amp.. If I reduce the resistor values by 10 times (680R/330R) then the offset becomes acceptable values (~1mV).. But in this case the LPF will reach the PCM2702s R(load) limits (which is >5K)..
I know these values are just on the paper.. But I am sure the real life will be worst..
So in this case, I have two alternatives; another opamp or a buffer... But I dont want to make more complex it.
What do you think?

So,
This is the last status of the design..
- Bessel with MFB advices considered.
- Some gain (I am not sure but the simulator shows 6dB with 10K and ~3dB with 32R loads ???) still exists..
- 2Hz to 85Khz with -3dB
- Considered the possible (simulated) DC offset problem with AD8397 opamp and exchanged with OPAx134 opamp.. To keep outputs high current capability I use two paralelled (according to Intersil AN-1111.1).
- Power supply voltage for the opamps increased to +/-8v, because theyre not rail to rail..

Any more suggestions or critics?

PS: Both input caps should be 47u not 22u.. :)

DxVideo,
- welcome to the "Design TradeOff/Compromise Monkey House!" (and you thought it was a simple question...)
- don't know what sim package you are using and don't know if the AD8397 model is accurate.
- I don't have the AD8397 model.
- from spec sheet, AD8397 input offset = 2.5mV (so, gain of x2 = possible 5mV DC offset)
- my sim with current opamp, THS3061, (similar TI current opamp) DC offset with your values shows 11.99mV.
- adjusting TIFilter Pro, seed to 5k, 85kHz fc, to match your required input impedance, shows 8.98mV.
- simulating with OPA2134, shows 5.1uV DC offset and NE5534 shows 5.1mV DC offset.
- OPA2353 sim shows 4.5nV DC offset, with: C1 = 100p; C2 = 680p; R2=4.5k; R3=7k; R4=2.3k (Rimp adjusted for 5k)

You might be better off duplicating LPF, shown on TI's PCM2702 Evaluation Board.
- then, substituting opamps to simulate/predict performance. (see page 3)
- and right, might have to add output coupling cap or offset correction circuit (divider/servo) or driver/buffer for your 32ohm headphone load.

off to bed now, see how you go tomorrow....

edit: ha! another new design, eh? - (you're making me work too hard... hahahaaaa)

DEM-PCM2702 EVALUATION FIXTURE:
http://www.ti.com/litv/pdf/sbau025

My AD8397 model is from Analog website.. So it must be accurate enough (I hope)..
However I am not sure about my simulator.. I am using "5spice Analysis" for over 5 years.. And I cannot use another one! (believe me I have tried severeal simulators but failed) Its a free one and has very limited functions.. But in real life, if it says there is 10mV offset on outputs I always see a bit more or less 10mV..
So from the beginning it was a mistake to select a BJT input opamp, so it was my fault!
However, I still need some gains... And this is the modifyed circuit, accorded to TI's reference design + my comment :)

And this is the frequency + phase response of it.. Of course plus my simulators comment....

As mentioned that would be "a simple question"... So the simple part is coming :dead:
When I simulate a basic inverted configuration of OPA134 with 24K/12K resistors it gives 6dB gain.. Thats weird.. It seems no matter what kind of load you use 32R or 10K! Thats another weird situation..
However, when I simulate this (the above) circuit it gives ~4dB with 10K load and reduces to ~3dB when load is 32R..
Now!
- Should I trust that? Whats the diffrerence between a basic inverted amplifier and this?
- Am I wrong or in inverted amplifier AV = Rf/Ri so 24K/12K must give 2x = 3dB of gain.. Which is true?
I am confused!
:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.