Adding a Potentiometer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have I understood this right?

The preamp in the link differs from an ordinary pot because the linked pot in preamp is not in the audio path, but functions as a divider network, where as normal pots are in the signal path?

Also I would be nice to adjust gain from sources to give same output SPL on same amp setting so changing from mp3 to dvd doesn't blow speakers ;).

Input selection is done via rotary button and not via relay or similar right (which is better?) ?

Hi,
are you referring to fig3?

The pots work as normal attenuators.

The wiring of the balance pot is a bit unusual, but I disagree with ESP, it is in the audio path. It is the law faking resistor made adjustable and as such very much affects the final output signal from the pots to the next stage. The fact that the law faking resistor has been made adjustable does not remove it from the audio path. It passes audio signals.

yes I'm referring to fig 3.

So in your opinion andrew, the sound quality is similar when comparing the esp volume control with a good pot like DACT or similar?

Only other thing appealing to me is the possibility to adjust gain from different sources, but the price is of course more managable with a normal pot :).

AndrewT said:

The wiring of the balance pot is a bit unusual, but I disagree with ESP, it is in the audio path. It is the law faking resistor made adjustable and as such very much affects the final output signal from the pots to the next stage. The fact that the law faking resistor has been made adjustable does not remove it from the audio path. It passes audio signals.

I'm reading this as if you disagree with esp and that the resistors are still in the audiopath like a normal pot?
Hence the esp solution is not necessarily better than a good pot if I don't need the gain option?

please note that is is not a conclusion, but a question of whether I understood your statement correctly (hence the question mark ;) ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.