tube preamp to mate with Gainclone - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2003, 05:12 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Now, what tube preamp to start with, please?
Old 20th April 2003, 06:48 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JAZZ2250
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Now, what tube preamp to start with, please?
Uh... er... um... I gotta go wash dishes.

Are you opposed to kits? If not, how 'bout something like the <a href="http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html">Bottlehead</a> Foreplay? If you haven't done anything with tubes before, it'd be a perfect way to get your feet wet.

se
Old 20th April 2003, 03:30 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

Are you opposed to kits? If not, how 'bout something like the &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html...head&lt;/a&gt; Foreplay? If you haven't done anything with tubes before, it'd be a perfect way to get your feet wet.

Thanks, SE.
Foreplay was the first one that I could think of, actually. I have no doubt that the Foreplay is the bang for the buck. But, I also think that I could make better one at the same price if I go a complete DIY-way. I already have a good enclosure, RCA connectors, etc. So, I would not like to spend my hard-earned money to the parts that I don't want/need/like. Am I too picky?

Maybe Joel's preamp?
Old 20th April 2003, 04:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JAZZ2250
Foreplay was the first one that I could think of, actually. I have no doubt that the Foreplay is the bang for the buck. But, I also think that I could make better one at the same price if I go a complete DIY-way. I already have a good enclosure, RCA connectors, etc. So, I would not like to spend my hard-earned money to the parts that I don't want/need/like. Am I too picky?
Too picky? Naaaaaah. Just that as I said, tubes aren't my forte so I don't keep track of any of the various DIY tube circuits out there but I am familiar with the Foreplay and thought I'd throw that out seeing as the true bottleheads here can't seem to muster so much as a single suggestion for you. At least I tried.

se
Old 20th April 2003, 05:02 PM   #25
diyAudio Senior Member

Default PREAMP.

Hi,

Quote:
Maybe Joel's preamp?
Actually that's a headphone amp doubling as a preamp.

You could build it but did you browse around a bit here?

The previous pages of the "Tubes" section should contain at least a dozen of such projects....probably the main reason why the "bottleheads" around here haven't jumped in yet.

OTOH if you can provide a description of your requirements we may be able to get you started.

Cheers,
Old 20th April 2003, 05:14 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PREAMP.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
The previous pages of the &quot;Tubes&quot; section should contain at least a dozen of such projects....probably the main reason why the &quot;bottleheads&quot; around here haven't jumped in yet.
He wasn't just looking for circuits. He was looking for recommendations to suit his stated goal.

<i>I would like to get some recommendation from the tube guys here which project would be good for my plan.</i>

Quote:
OTOH if you can provide a description of your requirements we may be able to get you started.
He laid it all out in his very first post.

I guess that's what you missed.

se
Old 20th April 2003, 05:23 PM   #27
diyAudio Senior Member

Default RE:RE:PREAMP.

Hi,

From the first post:

Quote:
Gain of 20-25 dB should be high enough for me. Thanks.
There's more to a preamp than just that piece of info alone in my book.
Add to that that the preamp needs low Zo and your stuck with the classic "anode follower + cathode follower" recipe or an SRPP.

Source selector, volumecontrol and the most overlooked part : the PSU.

Tubes: 12AU7A,12BH7A,12/6CG7,6DJ8 in short anything with a u of 10-30.

As said before there a number of those around here already.

Quote:
I guess that's what you missed.
Nope.
Old 20th April 2003, 06:29 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: RE:RE:PREAMP.

Quote:
There's more to a preamp than just that piece of info alone in my book.
Add to that that the preamp needs low Zo and your stuck with the classic &quot;anode follower + cathode follower&quot; recipe or an SRPP.

Source selector, volumecontrol and the most overlooked part : the PSU.

Tubes: 12AU7A,12BH7A,12/6CG7,6DJ8 in short anything with a u of 10-30.

As said before there a number of those around here already.
Yes. But since he has no experience along those lines, he's relying on the judgement of others to make some specific recommendations that he can consider.

Do you expect him to try every iteration out there until he happens to come across something he likes? If that were the case, he wouldn't be here asking for specific recommendations. He'd be busy breathing solder fumes for the next six months.

se
Old 20th April 2003, 06:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PREAMP.

Quote:
Actually that's a headphone amp doubling as a preamp.
I don't think you're missing anything.
Yes, I did looked around the tube forum. But, you know what? A newbie (to tube) like me feels even scared what to choose among the dozen projects here. I hope you understand it.

OK. Back to the topic. How's Joel's project? If I could have a headphone amplifier together with a preamp, that would be even better though headphone amplifier was not included in my initial plan. What's the Zo of his? Is it ~2.7k according to the last resistor at the output?
Old 20th April 2003, 06:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Senior Member

Default Re:re:preamp.

Hi,

Quote:
How's Joel's project? If I could have a headphone amplifier together with a preamp, that would be even better though headphone amplifier was not included in my initial plan. What's the Zo of it? Is it ~2.7k according to the last resistor at the output?
Well, Burnedfingers/Joe built it but had difficulties getting it to bias correctly.
From the feedback he gives it doesn't sound all that exceptional, no surprise there since it was basically just an headphone amp Joel designed to kick his cans.
It can be pushed to sound really great but that's not quite beginners territory.

I think if you look for a preamp + headphone amp, than a really good one can be made based around a circuit presented by Aren Van Waarde at the Headwize site.
It comprises a 6DJ8 and a 6080/6AS7G, the end result will depend on how far you want to take it but it has a lot of potential.

Many other possibilities exist and you'll likely hear other bells chiming here.
For someone new to tubes however is has the advantage to operate at relatively low voltages which will bring cost down.

I'll try to find the circuit for you and post it here.

Cheers,

P.S.If you're on a specific budget, pls. let us know.

Hide this!Advertise here!