Capacitance Multiplier PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

I'm wanting to experiment with higher capacitance power supplies for my chipamp. I only have limited space in my chassis.

I've been looking into a simple capacitance multiplier PSU
Has anyone tried this setup with chipamps ?

i was hoping to use this layout for both +ve and -ve

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 535
replace R1 C2 with an RCRC filter.
510r+220uF and 510r+220uF will perform far better than 1000r+1000uF.

Add a resistor in parallel to the last C of this filter.
Use the value of this resistor to adjust the amount of ripple that the multiplier can attenuate.
A low value resistor will pull down the output voltage and give a higher voltage drop across the pass transistor. This voltage drop is the maximum ripple that the multiplier can attenuate.

A higher resistor will give a higher output voltage, but the ripple will leak through as the current is increased.

Your resistor is effectively infinity and tiny output currents will show ripple passing straight through the multiplier.

The really big advantage of the multiplier is that the rough smoothing cap can be made much smaller. You ignored this advantage by fitting 10mF. Try 1mF or 2m2F instead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.