PC Gainclone with 14V Toroid - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2009, 05:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PC Gainclone with 14V Toroid

Hi guys,

I just spent some thoughts about getting some Gainclone inside my fathers Computer. He's got a pair of CT193, see here:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/ct193.htm

But no amp.

I've got a Case from an ATX PSU unit here, but it won't fit anywhere in the cramped Computer.

Now I found an old CD-Rom with broken off loading plate.
The Metal is about 1mm thick (Plextor quality ) so I think it should be sufficient as a radiator.
I've got some nice 2x14V / 30VA Toroids here, they fit EXACTLY. But more than one will be really difficult to fit in there.

Will a single 30VA Toroid be strong enough? How much power do I get from +-20V DC?

Of Course this is not High End, but do I sacrifice sound quality by running the LM3886 or 4780 with such a low voltage?
Old 28th February 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

For a 30va at 14v I suggest the TDA2040 or LM1875 which can put out over 20w at +/-20v dc but at 30va would only power one channel , you would have to use 2 transformers or have a much lower output power....These chips are also very cheap to buy...

You could allways put the power supply in a different box....

Cheers
Old 28th February 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

You could use a DC/DC converter to run it from the existing PC power supply.
Old 28th February 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PC Gainclone with 14V Toroid

Quote:
Originally posted by Bassterror
Will a single 30VA Toroid be strong enough? How much power do I get from +-20V DC?
You will only have 20 V with no load. When the PSU is loaded you can expect about 10-11 W output power per channel with those 8 Ohm speakers. A 30 VA transformer will be sufficient.

Quote:
do I sacrifice sound quality by running the LM3886 or 4780 with such a low voltage?
No. Nevertheless an LM1875, TDA2030-2052 (mono) or LM1876 (stereo) will be fine for that task.
Old 28th February 2009, 09:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

LM1875 and 76 are fine but hard to get here, and no, please no car radio amp. Could run fron the atx 12V line, but i don't like the idea.

I have those 3886 here on my desk, so why not using them.

I just tied to fit 2 Toroids and, well, it would fit. I hope 10cm distance between Chips and toroids won't create any hum.

IF I use one Transformer per Chip, and someone uses a 4Ohm speaker, what do you think will happen?

Just flat bass or smoking toroids?
Old 28th February 2009, 10:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IF I use one Transformer per Chip, and someone uses a 4Ohm speaker, what do you think will happen?

Just flat bass or smoking toroids?
Neither. One 30VA transformer is just the right size for the ~24 W you would get with 4 Ohm from an LM3886. Flat bass would be a consequence of too small smoothing capacitors.

Use a bigger heatsink for stable 4 Ohm operation.

Hide this!Advertise here!