PC Gainclone with 14V Toroid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I just spent some thoughts about getting some Gainclone inside my fathers Computer. He's got a pair of CT193, see here:
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/ct193.htm

But no amp.

I've got a Case from an ATX PSU unit here, but it won't fit anywhere in the cramped Computer.

Now I found an old CD-Rom with broken off loading plate.
The Metal is about 1mm thick (Plextor quality :D) so I think it should be sufficient as a radiator.
I've got some nice 2x14V / 30VA Toroids here, they fit EXACTLY. But more than one will be really difficult to fit in there.

Will a single 30VA Toroid be strong enough? How much power do I get from +-20V DC?

Of Course this is not High End, but do I sacrifice sound quality by running the LM3886 or 4780 with such a low voltage?

For a 30va at 14v I suggest the TDA2040 or LM1875 which can put out over 20w at +/-20v dc but at 30va would only power one channel , you would have to use 2 transformers or have a much lower output power....These chips are also very cheap to buy...

You could allways put the power supply in a different box....

Cheers

Bassterror said:
Will a single 30VA Toroid be strong enough? How much power do I get from +-20V DC?
You will only have ±20 V with no load. When the PSU is loaded you can expect about 10-11 W output power per channel with those 8 Ohm speakers. A 30 VA transformer will be sufficient.

Bassterror said:
do I sacrifice sound quality by running the LM3886 or 4780 with such a low voltage?
No. Nevertheless an LM1875, TDA2030-2052 (mono) or LM1876 (stereo) will be fine for that task.

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

LM1875 and 76 are fine but hard to get here, and no, please no car radio amp. Could run fron the atx 12V line, but i don't like the idea.

I have those 3886 here on my desk, so why not using them.

I just tied to fit 2 Toroids and, well, it would fit. I hope 10cm distance between Chips and toroids won't create any hum.

IF I use one Transformer per Chip, and someone uses a 4Ohm speaker, what do you think will happen?

Just flat bass or smoking toroids?

Bassterror said:
IF I use one Transformer per Chip, and someone uses a 4Ohm speaker, what do you think will happen?

Just flat bass or smoking toroids?
Neither. One 30VA transformer is just the right size for the ~24 W you would get with 4 Ohm from an LM3886. Flat bass would be a consequence of too small smoothing capacitors.

Use a bigger heatsink for stable 4 Ohm operation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.