3875 sounds better, 3886 measures better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm addicted to tweaking and I use the 3886. Never tried the 3875, I stayed with the higher power chip (bought 10 of them and still have 4 to go).

This little amp walks all over a lot of commercial offerings in the under $1000 bracket, lots of control, punch and not sounding sterile. Only two defects being the lack of inner detail and that it runs out of steam with low sensitivity or high current speakers. Implementation matters a lot in the final sound, and the change of a single element in the power supply or signal path has fairly dramatic effects.

I would try the 3875, but I have two pair of speakers - Dynaudio BM6 (86 dB/W, 4 ohms, nasty load) and Usher Mini Dancer (85 dB/W, 8 ohms). I need much more power than either of the chips can give me anyway, so going discrete for sure.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
No more speakers please, I spent >4000 dollars already on these. Also have a set of drivers and crossovers for Zaph L18, not got built for the last three years as no woodworker is willing to tackle the project, and no room in my small apartment to build it myself :(

I'd rather have a proper amp now.

sangram said:
No more speakers please, I spent >4000 dollars already on these. Also have a set of drivers and crossovers for Zaph L18, not got built for the last three years as no woodworker is willing to tackle the project, and no room in my small apartment to build it myself :(

I'd rather have a proper amp now.

Then parallel 3*LM3886 and you get 150 watts, go to Ebay you can buy them cheap.

$4000 for the speakers you have are expensive really, there are ready made DIY speakers kits which sound as good for much cheaper.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
[OT]

Already have parallel LM3886, BPA 4780 (200 w/ch) and single-ended 3886. Really need something with a little more finesse. >1 chips sounds not as good as single chip already, and to get decent voltage output a high voltage amp is a better bet anyway.

I already have all the chips I need, as well as transformers. Just tired of chips and want to taste something different. We have difficulties in getting a woodworker for DIY cabinets - not that I haven't tried. Like I said, there's a full set of the L18 drivers and crossovers in my parts bin, waiting for a cabinet maker.

[/OT]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.