$7500.00 chipamp revealed - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2009, 10:57 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

hi all
i,ve noticed that there is a seller in hongkong on ebay that is selling boards very similar to this bpa300
it also has a pic of alex,s finnished amp in the item description
are these the same boards?
Old 26th February 2009, 11:34 PM   #32
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trim pots

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ900RR

Indeed balanced signal makes better performance, if the design is constructed as balanced!

I believe that has become a rather oldish "hype" by now
Old 27th February 2009, 12:04 AM   #33
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ
I don't think anyone is knocking chip amps, I think they are knocking the price. I can't believe that this is selling for $7500, I feel insulted somehow by that price. I may be in the wrong business, I should start selling t-amps in a CNC machined copper enclosure for $10,000. "The copper's magic allows the t-amp to produce it's lucid musicality" ROFL.
Yeah, that's way more than I would or could ever pay for an amp.

You've got to respect, though, that there is a market out there for amps this expensive.

If the Rowland amps sounds a good as is rumored, I could see some well-heeled listener springing for one despite the fact that the active devices are relatively cheap. Some folks just don't have any desire or time to dally with DIY (a lot of folks couldn't care less if the output devices in their amp cost $5 each or $50 each simply because they would never set out to build an amp themselves; the final arbiter is then sound quality, aesthetics, build quality, cost, etc. If these things meet their expectations for the price, that's all that matters). Usually, a listener contemplating this sort of purchase has the means to indulge any sort of amp he or she wants. This amp is for them.

Luckily for us less monetarily endowed, there IS DIY. We can get great sound out of relatively inexpensive chipamp kits, Class-D kits, or other diy projects like Pass DIY and some cool tube offerings. Go crazy!

If anything, the discussion and/or criticism should be focused on whether it is ethical (or tasteful?) for someone in this society to spend this much on stereo gear. It may be obscene to spend this much on an amp, but I tend to believe that folks can do what they want with their own money as long as it's no skin off my back.

I can't blame Rowland for catering to this market. If the market exists, the amp lives up to Rowland's standards for sound and build quality, and it's sale brings in a good profit then the company would be stupid if they didn't make and sell the line. It's just good business sense.

I don't think, therefore, that any ire can be directed towards Rowland. They're making a product for a specific market segment that's willing to pay the asking price. If any of the readers don't happen to fall into that group, I don't think badmouthing Rowland for selling to that specific market segment is a productive way of looking at it.

Best,
KT
Old 27th February 2009, 11:14 AM   #34
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bridged/ balanced amps have advantages

Concerning balanced audio gear.
Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus

I believe that has become a rather oldish "hype" by now
I
In my case where my direct out modified Behringer DEQ2496 uses the AK4395 dac chip which has true balanced outputs right through from the digital filter, sending a balanced signal to a true balanced/ bridged amp has many technical advantages. The least of which is the balanced cables. The big deal for me is that I can get an ultra clean implementation of a true balanced/ bridged 3875 amp in order to very cleanly double the otherwise anemic 30 watts that they are capable of into an 8 ohm speaker so that an affordable chip amp can finally try to reach the sonics of my more powerful amps. I agree that most other home audio gear that can use balanced cables is adding extra circuits on each end that you don't want, just in order to balance a 3 foot cable, making the balanced connection sound worse, not better. But, when it comes to amps, running bridged/ balanced is a great step foward as long as you are ready to double the cost of the amp, which, with these chip amps is minimal to begin with.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:28 AM   #35
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Totally balanced electronics and balanced i/o only are not the same. Additionally, not all balanced designs are of similar performance. So the point is, just saying that the design is a balanced design does not mean performance is better.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:46 PM   #36

Default Re: Bridged/ balanced amps have advantages

Quote:
Originally posted by sendler
Concerning balanced audio gear.

The big deal for me is that I can get an ultra clean implementation of a true balanced/ bridged 3875 amp in order to very cleanly double the otherwise anemic 30 watts that they are capable of into an 8 ohm speaker

so that an affordable chip amp can finally try to reach the sonics of my more powerful amps.
Backside is that a balanced amp will see half of the the actual speaker impedance
One possible benefit could be that you can obtain the same output with LESS voltage
Other than that I believe its actually the smaller amps that have superiour sonics
But being a chipamp it could very well mean that the raised power does have some benefits
With regards to the power supply LCAudio(LarsClausen) once had some interesting suggestions
Something with double supply, which had a drawback, being capacitance would be halfed, hence a big cap with twice the voltage was placed across, + to -
Old 27th February 2009, 01:25 PM   #37

From memory I think the "balanced" supply was something like this...but Im not sure about it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bal supply.jpg (24.0 KB, 253 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!