Gainclone trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and pic 2

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 928
Thanks guys for the help. I'm off to school now...when I get back I'll try some of those things. I have tried a discman ....seems like anything I plug into the inputs creates this buzz. I have test RCA connectors that are shorted....they short RCA input to ground...and even those things buzz.

MOAMPS...I'll try what you say...seems like a good way to do it.

Later guys!

-Matthew K. Olson

Are we talking about a mechanical buzz from the amplifier here, or an (electrical) buzz in the output signal to the speakers?

If it's an electrical buzz, is it still there if you put a short between input and ground of your RCA connector, with nothing else (only the speakers!) connected?

If so, there's probably a grounding fault somewhere within the amp. Can you point me at the circuit you're using?

If not, does the buzz come back when you touch the ground of your CD to the RCA ground (even with shorting plug)? If so, it's an earth loop (which will need some grounding
mods to CD or amplifier to sort out).

Cheers
IH

Well here it is....finished. LOOKS AND SOUNDS SMOOTH!!! Hope ya'll like it!! The guy I'm building it for didn't want any LED on the faceplate or anything...so I kept it simple. Looks way cool. The paint is the new Rustoleum Metalic. Looks very very good. Later all!

-Matthew K. Olson

Attachments

• p4170091.jpg
    p4170091.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 729
I made the faceplates oh 12" wide or so. But the chassis on the bottom is really only 12" deep and 8" wide. The chassis on the top w/o heatsinks is like 4-5" wide plus 3" sinks on either side. It really came out pretty well. I'm not a great painter....so the paintjob isn't terrific...except for the faceplates. They are 3/16" aluminum and came out just great :)

-Matthew K. Olson

ok...well you guys wanted more pics...here goes. I just shipped the thing out...its gone ...but I do have pics. I did a listening session this weekend, and wow. WOW WOW WOW. Just unreal what a few bucks can give for sound! Just stunning. Solen caps and BC 1% resistors from digikey. Panasonic HFQ caps (predesessor of FC) 1200uf 63v on the rails and 15kuF in the power supply w/ a plitron 225va 18-0-18. Enjoy the pics all!

-Matthew K. Olson

Attachments

• p4170092.jpg
    p4170092.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 509
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.