Found retro 80s amp - Anyone know what this is? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Found retro 80s amp - Anyone know what this is?

Sorry to be such a noob but I found this amp and have no idea what is is other than I think its from the late 70s early 80's. Theres no model number so I think it must be a kit amp of some kind. Sorry no inside pics.
It looked like it had 2 transformers inside it?

Can anyone shed some light onto this about what it might be and if I could use it as a stereo amp with a couple of 1994 ish technics speakers?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 09:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
Join Date: May 2008
No outside pics either?
If you've always done it like that, then it's probably wrong. (Henry Ford)
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
now with pics

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Puffin is online now Puffin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: U.K
It looks like it was designed for PA or similar use, with the jack plug inputs. It is not likely to perform that well in a domestic environment. However if it works, power it up and see what it sounds like. Any speaker of 4, 6 or 8 ohms should be fine. If you are unsure as to it's stability, use an old speaker to check it is o.k.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 02:02 PM   #5
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
poynton's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
6 mike inputs, 1 gram 1 other

could be mike transformers in the cans?

could be a toroid 100v line transformer?

What are the transistors mounted on the back panel ??

If it ain't broke, break it !! Then fix it again. It's called DIY !
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 04:45 PM   #6
pjp is offline pjp  India
diyAudio Member
pjp's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: under the rainclouds
Where are the large capacitors ? I see just one.
Where's the other one, or if it is a single supply where are the output capacitors ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 07:10 PM   #7
teemuk is offline teemuk  Finland
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Suomi, Finland
Maybe it's transformer coupled...? I see two huge transformers and this does not look like a stereo amp - neither an amp that would need two parallel transformers of that size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 02:16 AM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member
djk's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
PA amplifier with a single ended supply. Will have all NPN outputs push-pull driving a center-tapped output transformer with the B+ fed to the center tap. Probably 100W into a 70V or 100V line.
Candidates for the Darwin Award should not read this author.
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
retro marantz karma Solid State 25 6th June 2004 06:05 PM
Balance Pot, (=retro?) Cobra2 Everything Else 2 1st December 2003 09:25 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2