diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   Experimenting with Chipamp.com Mono PCBs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/138440-experimenting-chipamp-com-mono-pcbs.html)

Tripmaster 12th February 2009 02:04 PM

Experimenting with Chipamp.com Mono PCBs

Hi there

I have purchased several Chipamp PCBs and plan to experiment with a different selection of components to the ones Brian supplies with his kits.

I really like sound of my current Chipamp dual mono but I find some of the higher frequency range can occasionally sound harsh.

Can anyone suggest a nice selection capacitors-boutique resistors they have found work well together?

The amps will be powered by either Pedjaís discrete power supply or an LM338 regulated supply.

Thanks for your help

Richard

Nuuk 12th February 2009 03:18 PM

I've got the best ones available anywhere and at a very reasonable price (now that I've had a conscience bypass)! :D

Try carbon film or carbon composition resistors, and make sure that your heat-sinks are not too flimsy. ;)

Beftus 12th February 2009 03:26 PM

I haven't tried different capacitors but I really like the sound of my chipamp.com monoblocks and so don't feel the urge to experiment.

I used Panasonic TS caps in the PSU, Panasonic FC's for all other electrolytics and Vishay-Roederstein MKP1837's for all the 0.1uF caps. Some people rave about the MKP1837's...

I've also read (can't recall where) that caps in a chip amp have a larger infuence on the sonic end result than resistors.

How about using carbon film instead of metal film resistors? Some think carbon = less harshness.

Tripmaster 12th February 2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nuuk
I've got the best ones available anywhere and at a very reasonable price (now that I've had a conscience bypass)! :D

Try carbon film or carbon composition resistors, and make sure that your heat-sinks are not too flimsy. ;)

Iíve been expecting you! :D

Nuuk 12th February 2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Iíve been expecting you!
What - to hold your soldering iron? :cannotbe:

Tripmaster 12th February 2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nuuk

What - to hold your soldering iron? :cannotbe:

Hmmm...:smash:

Tripmaster 12th February 2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beftus
I haven't tried different capacitors but I really like the sound of my chipamp.com monoblocks and so don't feel the urge to experiment.

I used Panasonic TS caps in the PSU, Panasonic FC's for all other electrolytics and Vishay-Roederstein MKP1837's for all the 0.1uF caps. Some people rave about the MKP1837's...

I've also read (can't recall where) that caps in a chip amp have a larger infuence on the sonic end result than resistors.

How about using carbon film instead of metal film resistors? Some think carbon = less harshness.

Thanks Beftus :)

Puffin 12th February 2009 07:30 PM

Re: Experimenting with Chipamp.com Mono PCBs

Quote:

Originally posted by Tripmaster
Hi there

I have purchased several Chipamp PCBs

Richard

Ooh do tell all!

Tripmaster 12th February 2009 07:37 PM

Re: Re: Experimenting with Chipamp.com Mono PCBs

Quote:

Originally posted by Puffin

Ooh do tell all!

I thought I already had? ;)

Why don't you upload your other avatar, I wont be offended!

:)

Puffin 12th February 2009 07:41 PM

Nope, I know nothing.

Wot so that I can ***p on you.