Newbie questions and advice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very new to the chip amp scene, so I have some general questions that have been nagging me.

How do you know to use one chip over the other?
What is the effect of using two chips bridged? parallel?
How do most of you implement a volume control?

Ultimately I want to build a surround sound amplifier w/ powered sub out to replace my faulty one. I know it will be quite a while before I'll have the knowledge to actually start designing it but I was wondering just what is the feasibility of creating such an amp using the gaincard as a model? Have any of you made surround sound amps?

If anyone has any really good background sites on the subject, or recommendation for books to read I would love to hear them!

I'm really enjoying reading the technical threads, even if some of the concepts are still over my head. Luckily I do have some experience with electronics and wiring, so I'm hoping to catch on pretty quickly.

Thanks!

keiichi189 said:
How do you know to use one chip over the other?
First you decide which amount of power you need. Then you decide, which additional features you need. And last but not least you also look, what is available, where you buy, and what you can afford. While all those ICs are cheap, higher power means bigger transformers, heatsinks and enclosures, and those three are the expensive parts.

keiichi189 said:
What is the effect of using two chips bridged? parallel?
Link.

keiichi189 said:
How do most of you implement a volume control?
Most people use a simple logarithmic stereo potentiometer between 10k and 47k.

keiichi189 said:
Have any of you made surround sound amps?
Yes. You will find them with the search function.

keiichi189 said:
If anyone has any really good background sites on the subject, or recommendation for books to read I would love to hear them!
First of all the application notes. The Overture Design Guide is a helpful tool. All can be found here. Then google gainclone and you have enough stuff to read for several weeks. Other than that it is good to read something about op amps, because that is, what these ICs basically are, op amps with integrated power stage.

Thanks for your detailed response, pacificblue!

I have read in detail the thread about the 8-channel 300w amp. I can't find the link now but it seems that something of this nature would suit what I eventually want to do.

For now I will concentrate on building a simpler mono amp, possibly for use as a keyboard amplifier.

Thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.