How do the gainclones sound???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering the gainclones but I've got a decent commercial pre- / power amp now (Simaudio Celeste 4070SE / 4001SE). Can someone comment on listening tests they've made against commercial amps? I realize passive component selection has a major impact on the sound of the amp so I won't go so far as to ask about the sonic signature. I've done a lot of researching (47 labs reviews, Thor amp, various other gainclone builders' sites) but what I'm really after is a subjective feel for just how good the gainclones are against the commercial competition in the $2-3K (and above) price range. :confused:

i cant really comment on sound quality that much, as im useing a very old rotel (RA 314) at the moment, but my test gainclone sounded so good (even though i only played it for about 5 minutes) that i have got sick of my rotel and er... 'borrowed' my dads NAD 304 untill the gainclone is finnished because i cant bear the noise the rotel makes

How do they sound? Annoyingly good, actually! I spent
about £500 on my pair of OptiMOS 160W Class B monoblocks. They are great. I built a set of 4-box monoblocks (1 box for passive preamp, 1 box for PSU, 1 box per monoblock amp). They sound great...and only cost about £120 for everything. I'm giving them to my brother...They weren't quite as easy to listen to as my OptiMOS'. They were a bit lacking in the power department too, but a set of sensetive speakers (>= 89-90) will be louder than you can listen to, except in a party situation :drink: :cannotbe: :dead:. They produce very fast bass and excellent voices. I can't comment on imagary 'cause my setup is so badly positioned - you'd all freak! ;)

Here are some pics of mine...
Goto http://www.rarkovelectronics.co.uk
Click to enter, then on the GainClone link under the Projects heading.

Build them - they're cool!

Gaz

Re: re:perf panels

45guy said:
We have a great surplus place around here with all sorts of misc parts. I found a stack of these and they really work out great. Here's 2 being used as a top cover for my gainclone- http://hifitom2.home.mchsi.com/TGC.htm

Are they metal? Can you buy me some, I'll be glad to pay you for the material, shipping and lunch. they look really interesting for Electrostatic panels...

Sheldon

45guy said:

Hi, 45guy.
You made a very nice looking amplifier. I have no doubt on how good it is sonic-wise. I've also tried an LM1875-based kit and am satisfied with the result though mine doesn't look as good as yours. :)
BTW, are you using a tube preamp with your LM1875? If so, could you let me (us) know a little bit more about it? It looks very simple and I have a feeling that it could be my next (well...first) tube project.

Jazz and others, Thanks for the compliment on the cases. I'm a tube guy at heart. This SS stuff is all new to me. To That end, I have quite a few tube linestages to play with. A Foreplay, E80CC, 6DJ8, 6SN7, 12AU7, 1629, 5687, 26, and a 5751 that needs some more work. My current favorite is a very simple 27 based design. That's the mess on the boxes in front of my LM3875 amp. I really love the mix of a tubes in front of these amps. The 27 globes with their mesh plates are really a treat and I'm working on a design to build for others right now. Still waiting for more globes too. The 26 tube is no slouch but it's harder to tame due to the direct heated filaments.

Sheldon, I bought all they had at the time and have projects in the wings for those. What sizes are you looking for? I'll keep my eyes peeled and pick them for you if any more surface. Can you use simple perfed aluminum? I have a little of that laying around and it shows up far more often. It does not have nice solid space around the edges though. I'll email you later tonight.

Tom
http://home.mchsi.com/~hifitom/index.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.