How do the gainclones sound??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2003, 01:59 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 45guy
See some photos if you like-
http://hifitom2.home.mchsi.com/kit50_case.htm
Hi, 45guy.
You made a very nice looking amplifier. I have no doubt on how good it is sonic-wise. I've also tried an LM1875-based kit and am satisfied with the result though mine doesn't look as good as yours.
BTW, are you using a tube preamp with your LM1875? If so, could you let me (us) know a little bit more about it? It looks very simple and I have a feeling that it could be my next (well...first) tube project.
Old 16th April 2003, 03:22 AM   #12
45guy is offline 45guy  United States
diyAudio Member

Jazz and others, Thanks for the compliment on the cases. I'm a tube guy at heart. This SS stuff is all new to me. To That end, I have quite a few tube linestages to play with. A Foreplay, E80CC, 6DJ8, 6SN7, 12AU7, 1629, 5687, 26, and a 5751 that needs some more work. My current favorite is a very simple 27 based design. That's the mess on the boxes in front of my LM3875 amp. I really love the mix of a tubes in front of these amps. The 27 globes with their mesh plates are really a treat and I'm working on a design to build for others right now. Still waiting for more globes too. The 26 tube is no slouch but it's harder to tame due to the direct heated filaments.

Sheldon, I bought all they had at the time and have projects in the wings for those. What sizes are you looking for? I'll keep my eyes peeled and pick them for you if any more surface. Can you use simple perfed aluminum? I have a little of that laying around and it shows up far more often. It does not have nice solid space around the edges though. I'll email you later tonight.

Tom
http://home.mchsi.com/~hifitom/index.html

Hide this!Advertise here!