Gainclone monoblocks - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2003, 12:46 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
This is not a filter, it's a module containing socket, fuse and switch, very convenient. I tried filter before and I didn't like it.

Regarding the cables, this is what happens when someone's in rush to listen to the new creation
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 13th April 2003, 01:02 AM   #12
blip is offline blip  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
This is not a filter, it's a module containing socket, fuse and switch, very convenient. I tried filter before and I didn't like it.

Regarding the cables, this is what happens when someone's in rush to listen to the new creation
Speaking of that... any idea where one could get a module like that online and how much it would cost? I really like the look of it.

Anyway, even your slapped together amps are far superior in quality than mine will ever be. Also, that p2p wiring is truly inspirational.
Old 13th April 2003, 01:18 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I'm buying my AC modules locally from this surplus outlet: http://www.sayal.com/. But I don't know the part #. I think it's less than $10.

Hee's more p2p inspiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p2p.jpg (91.8 KB, 3601 views)
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 13th April 2003, 02:07 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default When ground is not ground....

Quote:
Here's the amps in action. My comments? It seems like the amp is very stable (no oscillations and hum whatsoever). After initial hooking up, I thought that they sound very good, but after listening some more to different material, I think they sound weired.
I'm not surprised...you have connected the input ground to the negatif speaker terminal...where the loudspeaker retourning currents, retourn to the filter capacitors...and that current produces spurious voltages at that point...

The input ground must be conected to the ground terminal of the IC(in this case the noninverting input) ...that is also conected to the comum ground point(in a inverting amp)...!!
Old 13th April 2003, 02:56 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

In all my other amps the common ground point was always at the speaker's terminal and they sounded fine (not weired). With a distance of no more than 20mm, I don't think it makes much difference where the grounds are connected, it's just that the speaker terminal is convenient point for star ground. My other option was common point at the filter caps, but here I thought the currents might be more disturbing.

BTW, I tried connecting input ground as you propose in the other gainclone and it didn't make any audible difference. Probably because it measured the same.
Old 13th April 2003, 03:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Those are the same extrusions and I'm using 4.5" lengths.
Ah. Did you find those somewhere already cut and anodized?

Quote:
I put a 1" square bar between the fins. It improves the looks as well as acts as connecting element between 3/8" side panels and the heatsink.
Yeah, I used a trim strip on mine as well. But in my case, the PA-02 (which is in a TO-3 case) is mounted from the channel side and the input transformer protudes into the channel from the bottom of the sink so that stuff needed to be covered up.

Quote:
I also have to admit that I really like to work on those small amps. It's much easier than building big aluminum enclosures, with enough detail, it doesn't have to look plain (that was my intention this time) and the results are comparable. It's almost like working on a Swiss watch
Yup. I know exactly what you mean.

se
Old 13th April 2003, 03:15 AM   #17
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

A little flux remover should clean-up the sound
Old 13th April 2003, 03:27 AM   #18
rickpt is offline rickpt  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Talking The danger of posting pics

I clearly see a ground error on your ground arrangement but if you cant see it/hear it, its no mistake at all

Regards
Old 13th April 2003, 03:37 AM   #19
moe29 is offline moe29  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to moe29 Send a message via Yahoo to moe29
Default grounding issue

point it out... i've never seen Peter back away from constructive
criticism.
Old 13th April 2003, 03:43 AM   #20
rickpt is offline rickpt  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Read post 14, the explanation is there