Power Amp for clubs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking to create a 500W power amplifier that I can use with my DJ kit at home and transport at club gigs. Is it possible to do? And can some one point me to some good kits?

The idea is to first create a 500W stereo power amp so I can plug in to the DJ booth at the club.

Eventually I will want to create a 3 way Crossover and amp for each frequency range: bass, mids, highs and my own speakers finally.

I'm thinking that each amp for each frequency should have it's on characteristics, instead of building the 3 same amps...

So, should I go up to 500W or will something less be sufficient? Keep in mind I want to use it in a club so it must be loud enough to overcome the main club sound in the DJ booth. And of course it must sound good :p

As for the electronics part, I have a few friends who will help me with the construction.

Thanks!

You will not achieve 500 W with a chip amp. You will have to look in the solid state or class D forums. Better even, search for a PA forum.

A 500 W amplifier is not exactly a beginner's project, and you can probably get a PA amplifier with that amout of power cheaper than DIY. If you will use it at a public place there are also safety issues to address, which is another reason for buying instead of making.

Something less than 500 W could be sufficient. That depends on the size of the club, the sound pressure level you need to achieve, the amount of equalizing and, most important of all, the speaker sensitivity. 10 dB more (what humans percieve as double as loud) needs 10 times the amplifier power, so a speaker with 10 dB more sensitivity is a better choice than trying to make up for it with power.

Hi Infectd-

I take it since you used the term "DJ" in your post that you will play a bit of what would be called "Dance/Trance" music styles in these clubs? That type of program material seems to require a rather large amount of high-horsepower subwoofers, doesn't it? At least that's what all the clubs I have seen in NYC and Chicago had installed in their public areas....

You can do a LOT with a little if you're careful, that's for sure. But I would try to bear in mind that the majority of what gets discussed in these forums is often being done in the desire of people trying to build audio equipment that has superior characteristics to that of which is commonly marketed to the general public. It's often not even "bigger" and most definitely often not "cheaper" when you start trying to do that, I have found. :)

But I surely have learned what to look for in equipment that I do end up buying instead of building myself from the information I have read in these pages, I assure you that!

I found this! http://www.shine7.com/audio/bpa300.htm

Clif you are right! It's for House music mostly, which I would need good bass response.

I'm not looking to build a club system, but rather a kit for home and something I can use in the DJ booth not the whole club. I.e: 2 speakers a good cross over and amps to power those speakers. Technically if I use an amp for each frequency I won' t really need a 500W amp. I can probably get away with 300W and good speakers.

Guys this system would make you wet your pants! We have this in Montreal!

Look through the pictures: http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbsstereo1.swf

The stacks are 15 feet tall! :p

And check out his Home System! http://www.systemsbyshorty.com

BPA-300 will not give you more power than BPA-200 into the same load. One advantage of BPA-300 is that it can be 2 Ohm stable with the same transformer, if you have enough heatsinking. BPA-200 can only play into 2 Ohm with reduced supply voltage.
Another is that it distributes the heat dissipation across more ICs. So for home use you may get by without a fan. In a PA environment you will need a fan anyhow.

Why don't you start with a single chip amplifier optimized for the load you will have to drive and take that one day with you to test? That way you get an idea about the sound. If you find out that you need more power during that test, you can still use the components for a BPA configuration later.

Start with a 2x18 V transformer for 4 Ohm or a 2x24 V transformer for 8 Ohm. 160 VA in either case. Get a big heatsink, too.

For home use it will be sufficient for more than 80 or even 90 % of all listening situations. For the DJ booth it only has to add the mids and highs that reach the booth muffled. There should be enough bass from the main speakers, so that should not be too much of a concern.

In an active system with one amplifier per driver the power adds up. E. g. an active speaker with 200 W for the bass, 70 W for the mids and 30 W for the highs would give a similar performance to a 300 W passive system. If you plan for that, a single chip amplifier will then still serve for the tweeters or even the mids.

amazing

infectdrhythms said:
I found this! http://www.shine7.com/audio/bpa300.htm

Clif you are right! It's for House music mostly, which I would need good bass response.

I'm not looking to build a club system, but rather a kit for home and something I can use in the DJ booth not the whole club. I.e: 2 speakers a good cross over and amps to power those speakers. Technically if I use an amp for each frequency I won' t really need a 500W amp. I can probably get away with 300W and good speakers.

Guys this system would make you wet your pants! We have this in Montreal!

Look through the pictures: http://www.systemsbyshorty.com/sbsstereo1.swf

The stacks are 15 feet tall! :p

And check out his Home System! http://www.systemsbyshorty.com

these are the systems we actually used in greece arround 80's ....do you still play with stuff like that ?????

now days most of our clubs feature LA systems .....

I agree with Sakis

The sound system of the Stereo in Montreal was crap...and old! It just sound because it have brute power on it...Nothing more! infectdrhythms, go to the Parking Night Club...The system is 10 time smaller than the one of the Stereo and maybe twice as loud and specilay lot more hi-fi...Send me PM, I will bring you at some place to show you what's a system...Not just high power bass...But a whole high power system...And compact of course!

you always

need to keep in mind that PA systems always come with the word ABUSE !!!! next to them .....

system made for this application has to be ready to be abused ..... kids stuff like BPA200-300 i dont think that can be related to professional audio gear ......

perhaps in the SS forum you might find endless talk between quality and stability of one amplifier ....

i bet you that bpa300 or 200 sounds realy grate so most of nelson pass designs..... but none of them is designed for such an application ....

your target sould be the amount of power versus abuse and stability .....

finally there is a lot of pro gear that sounds really decent but of course not "hi end "

Fredos: I've Djed at Parking one in the main room durring Perfect Sundays and a couple times downstairs when blended was doing there day club!! Maybe you heard of me I'm Tazz. When Angel started that sound system it had power and it was soft. Then Shorty came in and tightened it up even more. After that Steve Dash had his way with it and IMHO ****** it up! What other room can you be talking about in Montreal?

Sarkis: As far as the Stereo system is concerned it's modeled around the Paradise Garage sound: Levan Horns and everything. Shorty still installs sound systems world wide see his site and there's still demand for them. What's an LA system? Sarkis, Elinas etho! ;)

Now back to my DIY project lol! Are you guys saying I should go the Solid State way or look into the PA-200/300?

or buy professional gear.

That would be my strong recommendation. I have built amps from Heathkits/Dynaco/SWTPC/Hafler etc. I have the benefit of a degree in electronics, and still in this day and age it would be hard for me to cost justify a scratch or semi kit amp of that power for Pro Sound.
Plenty of used pro gear out there that have a variety of over-current and safety features built in. I cannot possible assemble/fabricate for what I can get used cheap.
I guess I consider an amp project to be a labor of love, not as an economical alternative.
I was at an auction last year and saw used Crown Macro 2400 amps go for $175 ea.

I would not recommend a 500 watt amp as a beginner project, but if your are adamant - check:

http://sound.westhost.com/projects-1.htm

well my greek friend ....

if you want my honest opinion if i ever had the ability to install in a club a classic JBL folded double 15" mid bass next to any LA (line arrey) system ..... i would go for the JBL system .....i like shorty's style !!!!!!

but thats personal this the way i think .....systems like that if working properly and if tuned properly are simply unbeatable ....

the think is that in greece we have fashion issues ....meaning that a brand new club cannot have sound that originates from the 80's it doesnt make any diference if system a plays better than system B ....its a fashion issue ( ?????? )

as about the rest of the thread and the OP you have to excuse me but personally i think that its just a joke since no pro gear is to be made with any chip amplifier ....

please dont missunderstand me ....nothing personal here this just an opinion

Hey guys I'm doing this for the fun of it! Plus, it adds a cool factor being a DJ and walking into a club with your on booth speakers that sound decent!

Fredos: I can't PM you yet! I'm still under moderation! I'm trying to think of what room you are talking about in Montreal that is all concrete! I'm thinking

Sarkis: Shorty uses JBL drivers AND he does allot of mods. You should also see his other installs. Or even his home product. The Stereo sound system was very sensitive. I.e: If it was abused like you said it wouldn't sound as great! Also the room was originally designed by Angel Moraes as box in a box concept. Then unfortunately when short came in, some walls where torn down. So Shorty had to work extra hard to make it sound good.

Angel's sound was loud yet soft.
Shorty's was tight and punchier.
Steve Dash's, was just bad! I heard he is good, but I don' t think any effort was put into configuring it right. The horns where laid on their side instead of upwards. Digital amps. Shorty would drive in from Jersey every 2 weeks to make sure the system was top notch sometimes even every week.

Put it this way the SBS system is DIY on a massive scale! lol From the mixer all the way to the speakers and cabinets to the room.

Quoted from Shorty:

When you run a mixer past unity and @ 10 you will crush the input stage of any mixer & you wil have a system that will get deteriorated and agressive because of this, even with the Urei, same rules apply.

7 On the input of a urei is unity, past that it will get washed out, edgy and agressive sounding in the mids and high end and a system will amplify that, there`s a sayin with audio put **** in get **** out in other words put a saturated signal in, the system will put out a saturated signal. Now also take into account i had outboard pre amps capable of + 26db and 99% of the time the input was run @ 10 on the input = destroying the signal on the source. So to say the system was aggressive i cant agree & not acurate. Thats like saying when your running the rpms on a engine at 8 & in the redline, sayin the motor breaks up on car xyz, But when driven like the designer shows you it performs properly without redlining the engine runs perfectly.

I used some of the Highest quality ref components, Namely TAD with SBS Bryston Modified amps and SBS Bryston modified processing, & it is very revealing, so the slightest thing that is off in the source it will let you know, but you have to pay attention to what is going on so you can correct the issue, and clipping the input stage will be a big issue IF you want it to sound rt. But with this same product in my systems when operated rt no matter what you play on it it will sound amazing.

The best way to run a SBS system like this is 7 on the input and 7 on the house with the Urei 1620 and it will play clean, not 10 on the input and whatever on the master which is how 99% of the jocks operated it. I had explained that the system to be used @ 7 & 7, after its explained on how a system is operated its on the pro`s to operate it properly to get the best results and it is on the club to make sure it is operated properly and monitored so the system performs at the best it can, which is what its suposed to be about.

When i rebuilt and modified the 1620 when i 1st started on that space there was a new faceplate on that mixer. as years went past all the numbers on the inputs were gone even past 8, 9 and 10 from running the input wide open & past Unity giving you a hashy aggressive source at times

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.