Hybrid Amplifier Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another picture for my amplifier.

Attachments

• img_7544.jpg
    img_7544.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 806
Looks great.
How does the unit sound ? Especially the comparison between the chip amp on it's own and the one with the tube input stage ?

I ask this because I built a chip amp that sounds wonderful. Then I added a tube input stage to increase input impedance and get a little extra gain . It killed the original sound. It was still very nice especially the mid range ( which seemed to be more 'real' ) but it sounded 'less dynamic'. Compressed is a crude word but describes it closely. I used a 6DJ8 runnig on 120 volt supplies.
Cheers.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try out something sometime ...when I have some free time. However I don't think additional overall feedback will bring back the original sound. That is based on my experience with circuits over time. But then nothing is completely done until it has been actually tried out in the real world.
Circuits do odd things with regard to perceived sound and based on my experience and feedback from forum members on various related questions there is a lot to learn yet ! That's fuel for the DIY fire !
Trust that the worst is over in Southern Australia. Our sympathies go out to anyone who has been affected.
Cheers.

Sorry about the delay. I don't have the circuit on this computer but it's quite simple. Its a 6DJ8 with a ccs anode load and a cathode resistor with no bypass capacitor. The ccs is a simple two transistor circuit with a BC556B and a MJE350. Output is coupled with a film cap. Power supply has a capacitance multiplier ( no voltage regulation ).
I run the tube at about 5mA IIRC.

Smooth sound but loss of dynamics compared to the chip on it's own. Mid-range seemed to be nicer with the tube !

Cheers.

Nice setup. But I guess a bit fiddly to assemble ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.