Gainclone help plz!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I am having some problems with my attempt to build gainclones. I have sucessfully built 4 clones. I am also having trouble with others. I get full voltage on the output. This has happend with 5 chips. I an getting frustrated since they may be cheap but not that cheap. I have looked at the chips and have no idea why this happens. The bad ones are identical to the good ones. I take my time and it still does it.

Please do you have any ideas??

thanks

Ted

Hi!

I had the same prob on my first attempt because I was using a LM3876 instead of a LM3875, but wired it exactly the same way like a LM3875, so I also got full voltage at my (supposed) output pin... but the pins are all aligned in another way than with the LM3875.

Don't use the "standard" schematics with anything else than a LM3875. You will have to adapt the schematics ton anything else.

Bye,

Arndt

TedPolzin said:
Hi I am having some problems with my attempt to build gainclones. I have sucessfully built 4 clones. I am also having trouble with others. I get full voltage on the output. This has happend with 5 chips. I an getting frustrated since they may be cheap but not that cheap. I have looked at the chips and have no idea why this happens. The bad ones are identical to the good ones. I take my time and it still does it.

Please do you have any ideas??

thanks

Ted

What exactly is the problem? You've built 4 amps that are OK and the other you've built are not working?

Re: Re: Gainclone help plz!!

Peter Daniel said:

What exactly is the problem? You've built 4 amps that are OK and the other you've built are not working?

Ok I have built 4 that work fine (I later fried one .. but that was my fault.) I have also built 5 that seem to have full voltage on the output. I have no idea why. I follow the same building techniques and have double and triple checked all my connections but it seems a crap shoot whether it will actually work or give not. When I say full power on the output I mean with no signal it will give 15 volts on the output pin when I put a volt meter across the output. (from output to ground). I have no idea why this is happening and am hoping someone can give me some direction as to what I am doing wrong.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks

Ted

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Gainclone help plz!!

TedPolzin said:

Ok I have built 4 that work fine (I later fried one .. but that was my fault.) I have also built 5 that seem to have full voltage on the output.
SNIP
I have no idea why this is happening and am hoping someone can give me some direction as to what I am doing wrong.

Hi Ted

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you have a batch of dodgy chips. Do they all have the same lot number? I have built about a dozen amps using the LM chips, ( I am just in the middle of building another 5 channel system for a mate's HT system), and the only problems I have had were down to user error...;)

Hmm I may have solved it. I think some how my bench supply was causing it. I hooked it up to my amp power supply and worked good. Tried it with my bench supply and +15 volts. I also tried another one same result. Now I need to figure out what my bench supply is doing :).

On another note what reisitor do I need for the mute on a 3886 with +-35 rails?

Thanks

Ted

oops, forgot the image.

Attachments

• gainclone.jpg
    gainclone.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 215
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.