Gainclone help plz!! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2003, 04:54 PM   #11
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

Olle,
The whitepaper is online at http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM3875.pdf. I also recommend going back through the "Not just another Gainclone" thread for suggestions and recommendations. There is way to much info there to be repeated in another thread.
Old 11th April 2003, 05:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Gainclone help plz!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TedPolzin
Hi I am having some problems with my attempt to build gainclones. I have sucessfully built 4 clones. I am also having trouble with others. I get full voltage on the output. This has happend with 5 chips. I an getting frustrated since they may be cheap but not that cheap. I have looked at the chips and have no idea why this happens. The bad ones are identical to the good ones. I take my time and it still does it.

Please do you have any ideas??

thanks

Ted

What exactly is the problem? You've built 4 amps that are OK and the other you've built are not working?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th April 2003, 07:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Gainclone help plz!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

What exactly is the problem? You've built 4 amps that are OK and the other you've built are not working?

Ok I have built 4 that work fine (I later fried one .. but that was my fault.) I have also built 5 that seem to have full voltage on the output. I have no idea why. I follow the same building techniques and have double and triple checked all my connections but it seems a crap shoot whether it will actually work or give not. When I say full power on the output I mean with no signal it will give 15 volts on the output pin when I put a volt meter across the output. (from output to ground). I have no idea why this is happening and am hoping someone can give me some direction as to what I am doing wrong.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks

Ted
Old 11th April 2003, 09:36 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Gainclone help plz!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TedPolzin

Ok I have built 4 that work fine (I later fried one .. but that was my fault.) I have also built 5 that seem to have full voltage on the output.
SNIP
I have no idea why this is happening and am hoping someone can give me some direction as to what I am doing wrong.
Hi Ted

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you have a batch of dodgy chips. Do they all have the same lot number? I have built about a dozen amps using the LM chips, ( I am just in the middle of building another 5 channel system for a mate's HT system), and the only problems I have had were down to user error...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th April 2003, 02:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hmm I may have solved it. I think some how my bench supply was causing it. I hooked it up to my amp power supply and worked good. Tried it with my bench supply and +15 volts. I also tried another one same result. Now I need to figure out what my bench supply is doing .

On another note what reisitor do I need for the mute on a 3886 with +-35 rails?

Thanks

Ted
Old 13th April 2003, 02:41 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

i have made a mono gainclone (one channel) with the OPA548 and i looked at the datasheet and got the pinout. i have built this circuit (see image) and i get -20v (supply voltage) at the output. i am using a bench power supply so this could be the cause but i dont think so.
Old 13th April 2003, 02:43 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

oops, forgot the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gainclone.jpg (54.3 KB, 167 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!