gainclone and jeff rowland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I think I got the gainclone bug :nod:

Digging on the web I saw that the jeff rowland concentra uses some concepts that are mentioned in this forum regarding the gainklones, like the use of LM3886 and battery supply. Taking a look at

http://www.jeffrowland.com/review16b.htm

we can see that:

1 - input is through a tranformer and an AD815

2 - output are 6 x LM3886

TI has an application ("Complete Audio Amplifier") where they use a OPA134 input opamp, that serves to make the treble and bass controls, and then a simple OPA548 (replaceable by the usual suspects).

My question/thoughts are if these more elaborated designs can be better than the gainclone. And if there is a point in converting an unbalanced signal to balanced signal inside the amp to send it to the further stages. And if the transformer is necessary or the input opamp can do it.

Miguel

Hehehe. I like how their marketing literature tries to mislead people, referring to a power opamp as an "Intelligent Power Transistor with Gain" and implies that these devices are simply replacing the typical output transistors in an amplifier. 47 Labs has some laughable marketing verbiage too, but at least they call a spade a spade when it comes to the Gaincard being based on a power opamp.

miguel2 said:
My question/thoughts are if these more elaborated designs can be better than the gainclone. And if there is a point in converting an unbalanced signal to balanced signal inside the amp to send it to the further stages. And if the transformer is necessary or the input opamp can do it.

Well, the Concentra will certainly give you power power than a Gainclone using a single power opamp. Other than that, I don't see any particular advantage.

As for converting an unbalanced signal to a balanced signal inside the amp, well, seeing as the Concentra uses a bridged output scheme, you need to produce a symmetrical signal to drive the two halves.

As for the transformer, I'm not sure what you mean by the input opamp doing it. Not sure what the "it" is that you're referring to. An opamp certianly can't provide electrical isolation. It can't offer as good common-mode rejection performance from balanced sources without trimming of the output impedances of the source to make sure they're as matched as possible and it can't give you anywhere near the common-mode rejection that a transformer can when fed from unbalanced sources.

I've been using power opamps in my own amps for over a dozen years. While the power opamps I've used have changed over the years, the basic configuration has always been input transformer/power opamp. It's worked well for me.

My amps have all been just power amps though. However you could simply put a pot or swtiched attenuator between the transformer and the power opamp. However this would only work using the power opamp in non-inverting mode. Otherwise, the attenuator would need to be upstream from the input transformer.

se

single ended to balanced...

hi steve,

wouldn't you say that using a DRV134 from Ti as the input device, could be a very good idea...? perhaps JEFF ROWLAND is allready doing this in his poweramps - there is certanly no input transformer inside...?

best regards,
troels

:idea:

This has already been discussed previously. I think R Jones owns a JR 3886 based amp and he used it as reference while working with the STK modules. Apparently this particular JR is not that great sounding. But i would imagine the sound is different and in some ways better than a gaincard. The multiple parallel devices will certainly improve drive of more difficult loads and generally bass quality. The bridging will further improve dynamics and bass as it solves problems of ground currents/psu well. Arguably the best way to implement bridging is using a quality transformer for the phase inversion. I think JR uses Jensen. So it may be a very valid exercise to improve on some sonic aspects of gainclone while hopefully not losing out on others (immediacy, microdynamics).

cheers

peter

I guess the transformer we are talking about here would have to be something very well made, which means expensive. Wouldn't a nice pair of opamps costing 1euro or such do the same trick, feeding one in the + input and the other on the - input? I guess the feedback is different and would have to be adjusted.

Transformers:
1. provide galvanic isolation,
2. are immune to some nasties that active devices are not (thanks to the laws of physics),
3. do not generate some nasties that active devices do (again, thanks to the laws of physics).

Jeff Rowland does indeed use Jensen transformers. And yes, they are expensive, but this IS high end, right? :)

However, active devices can sound good in this role.

mlloyd1

miguel2 said:
transformer ... would have to be ... expensive. Wouldn't ... opamps ... do the same trick...

The other side of the moon...

Transformers:
1. provide galvanic isolation,
2. are immune to some nasties that active devices are not (thanks to the laws of physics),
3. do not generate some nasties that active devices do (again, thanks to the laws of physics).

4. are sensible to magnetic fields..

5.suffer from histerisys of the magnetic material...

6.are sensivel to core saturation if they have a small DC across it...

7. are bandwith limited...

Re: single ended to balanced...

tbla said:
wouldn't you say that using a DRV134 from Ti as the input device, could be a very good idea...? perhaps JEFF ROWLAND is allready doing this in his poweramps - there is certanly no input transformer inside...?

That'd be one way to convert an unbalanced input to a balanced output. Or you could use the more generic and ubiquitous approach using a dual opamp chip.

But the issue here is input transformers, not simply single-ended to balanced conversion.

I believe in their new gear instead of input transformers, Rowland is using InGenius line receivers from <a href="http://www.thatcorp.com">THAT Corporation</a>.

Bill Whitlock (President of Jensen Transformers) patented an amplifier topology which gives high common-mode rejection even when there is an imbalance in the source impedances (the worst case being unbalanced sources). Transformers are very good at this and can give you triple digit common-mode rejection even from unbalanced sources. But typical active circuits can only achieve this level of rejection when the source impedances are precisely balanced.

se

Attachments

• lifebook_s_lrg3.gif
    lifebook_s_lrg3.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,359
Re: The other side of the moon...

Tube_Dude said:
4. are sensible to magnetic fields..

So is any conductive loop. But this is really only an issue with high impedance input transformers, which are typically supplied with magnetic shielding.

5.suffer from histerisys of the magnetic material...

Which is why the best transformers use the best core materials with the smallest hysteresis loops. This doesn't become significant except at the lowest frequencies and the highest input levels. Linearity increases with frequency and by the time you get to a couple hundred hertz, is virtually non-existent.

6.are sensivel to core saturation if they have a small DC across it...

If your source component is outputting enough DC to actually saturate the core, it's probably time to have your source component repaired.

Certainly DC currents in the primary or secondary can degrade performance. But it's rather trivially easy to keep these down to levels that they're not terribly significant.

7. are bandwith limited...

Guess it depends where you draw the line for "limited." The input transformers I use have a bandwidth of 100kHz. I don't see how that's limiting in any meaningful way. And output transformers can have bandwidths into the tens of megahertz.

So what exactly do you consider "bandwith limited"?

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.