gainclone and jeff rowland

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• dscn22011.jpg
    dscn22011.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,071
Knew what? You said he doesn't use input transformers in his new amps but most of his designs including the newest 300 series do. The three models you called out are the only ones in production that don't and might be phased out in the near future.

Edit: jams just to fast for me!:nod:

"I'm sorry Mr. Garrison.......

What I really meant to say was........."

I though new meant current, not something 5 years old that I really don't think is made any longer. Doesn't mean there aren't old ones left around that they would sell if you asked for one. I assume they are in business to make money.

Dirty secret of the audio business.......sometimes a manufacturer builds a product or series of products just to placate a certain dealer/importer/whatever. And then they have to live with the stigma of it a long time. Not saying that this is the case here, but I seriously doubt if you will ever see a JR product without a transformer again.

Jocko

XLR standards

pinkmouse said:

Pin 3 hot is standard everywhere I know of apart from the USA;)

That is not so. Until the '80s you could still find XLR pin 3 hot on some European stuff, as you could find male chassis XLRs as mic inputs. You could still find microphones with Tuchel outputs, which were particularly hateful to deal with.

Fortunately those practices were standardized into using pin 2 hot, XLR female inputs and toss Tuchel style connectors away.

If we have to consider some standard, then microphones should be them and they are all pin 2 hot.

Only some dying hard pros will still go for some specific models from Schoeps that you can special order pin 3 hot.

Let's hope this info helps.

Carlos

Re: XLR standards

carlmart said:
If we have to consider some standard, then microphones should be them and they are all pin 2 hot.

Yes, and that's precisely what the IEC established as an INTERNATIONAL standard back in 1975 (see IEC 286-12). That's nearly 30 years ago! Various other standards organizations and committees have followed suit and adopting the pin 2 standard.

Anyone still using pin 3 as hot either doesn't care that there are in fact actual standards in place (as opposed to willy nilly customs on the part of manufacturers) or they haven't a clue that such standards actually exist.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.