diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Chip Amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/)
-   -   LOGITECH Z-5300 Without Remote (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/135930-logitech-z-5300-without-remote.html)

orexio 5th January 2009 12:44 AM

LOGITECH Z-5300 Without Remote

Hello People

I want to know if i can use my Logitech Z-5300 Speakers without SoundTouch remote

i want to isolate the remote so i can use my decoder only beside using the both remotes.

in other words if one lost his remote how will he be able to use the speakers because the power button of speakers is located on the wired remote and if remote is not connected on sub we cant turn it on

i have seen Z-5500 hacked thread so may be someone can help

thanks

wendle 6th September 2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orexio (Post 1703517)
Hello People

I want to know if i can use my Logitech Z-5300 Speakers without SoundTouch remote

i want to isolate the remote so i can use my decoder only beside using the both remotes.

in other words if one lost his remote how will he be able to use the speakers because the power button of speakers is located on the wired remote and if remote is not connected on sub we cant turn it on

i have seen Z-5500 hacked thread so may be someone can help

thanks

Has anyone made any progress in getting the z-5300 working without the pod?

I have been able to turn on the amp by shorting pin 6 & 7 on the "vga" connector but I get no sound. If I remove the short, the amp powers off and the heatsinks go back to being cold.

wendle 9th September 2012 08:53 AM

It appears that I was unsuccessful in getting any sound by jumpering various combinations on the "vga" connector. So I finally unscrewed the amp assembly from main sub box and found the low level signal section of the board, located at the center region, has a ton of parts and complicated.

I decided to try a different route. There are 3 sets of wires entering/exiting the sub box and were easily identifiable by where the wires connect to on the circuit board. The three sets consist of 120volt mains to the transformer, 3 leads from secondary side of the transformer, and the speaker wires to the sub driver. Close by is the low level signal wire to the amp chip. I desoldered the wire from the low level signal section. I plugged the power cord in with "vga" connector pin 6 & 7 shorted and touched the bare wire on the signal wire to the amp with my finger. I get the familiar hum from the sub driver. So far so good. At least I can turn the z-5300 into a subwoofer.

Next I will try to add a connector to the end of the signal wire to the sub amp.

wendle 9th September 2012 11:17 PM

An update. I have connected the sub amp signal wire to the backside of the 3.5 mm jack (orange color) marked center/sub thus bypassing the pre-amp section . Wow! It works. Too LOUD!!! Volume control will be required to attenuate the output.

As for the other channels, I have mapped out which amp chip corresponds to which channel. Next is to pull the signal wires and connect to the backside of the 3.5 mm jacks - same as what I did for the sub amp.

wendle 17th September 2012 06:10 AM

Success! Not quite. I found out the front left amp does not work.

I noticed the functioning front right is not as loud as rears. So I connected the rear amp audio inputs to the backside of the 3.5mm front audio input jack. I will have to re-label the output so in the future I do not get confused.

For the audio input to the amps, I removed the shielded cable and added a header. I used an unshielded computer cdrom audio cable soldered to the backside of the 3.5 mm audio input jack and the other end plugged into the header.

wendle 18th September 2012 06:02 AM

Here is a photo of the wiring modification:
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/...psb81da21d.jpg

The red/white/black twisted wires are soldered to the backside of the 3.5 mm input (approx center of the pcb) to the amp inputs (top left & lower right) for rear right & left.

wendle 24th September 2012 08:27 PM

An update. I have now wired the center channel amp input to the back of the 3.5mm jack.

I have noticed that there is much greater hiss and buzzing from the center channel than the other working speakers (front left is dead). This happens with the inputs shorted to ground at back of amp or connected to the computer (on & off makes no difference).

Has anyone else found a greater amount of hiss or buzzing from one speaker compared to the rest???

wendle 1st December 2012 04:40 PM

decent sounding amp chip

Another update. I discovered the amp chips are very decent sounding. I was selling my Camber 1.0ti speakers and I needed an amp to connect to demo. I used the z-5300 connected to my Blackberry - wow! (without the sub of course). I was expecting mediocre sound but was amazed with this setup. The only issue was the speaker wire connection had to be done with an RCA audio cable and an RCA jack soldered to wires to make the final connection to the speaker.

irv6744 6th July 2013 08:01 AM

Wendle

i took my z-5300 apart and studied it in view of your notes. i figured that the subwoofer input goes through a coax from the center of the board to the lower left to go into the amp.

i tried cutting the sub woofer red and black wires as it exited from the speaker part of the box and connected them to an rca connector.

i then connected my soundbar output to the subwoofer to each of the inputs with a standard 2 wire 1/8" jack.

then i took the rca connector from the internal subwoofer in the logitech and tried plugging it into each rca speaker connector.
i heard nothing.
the power supply heatsinks get warm and the output ic's get very hot.

do you suggest it try anything else or just toss it in.

thanks

wendle 16th July 2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv6744 (Post 3551279)
Wendle

i took my z-5300 apart and studied it in view of your notes. i figured that the subwoofer input goes through a coax from the center of the board to the lower left to go into the amp.

i tried cutting the sub woofer red and black wires as it exited from the speaker part of the box and connected them to an rca connector.

i then connected my soundbar output to the subwoofer to each of the inputs with a standard 2 wire 1/8" jack.

then i took the rca connector from the internal subwoofer in the logitech and tried plugging it into each rca speaker connector.
i heard nothing.
the power supply heatsinks get warm and the output ic's get very hot.

do you suggest it try anything else or just toss it in.

thanks

I assume you are still trying to use the internal amp for the subwoofer driver. If yes, then all you need to do is to bypass the pre-amp section and connect from the 3.5 mm jack (near center of board) direct to the input of the chip amp. IMO to use one of the RCA jacks as an input is too much work.
So what I did was disconnect the black shielded wire from the output of the pre-amp to the chip amps input then jumper from the 3.5 mm jack direct to the chip amp. In my photo these are the twisted red, white, and black wires. Note the 3.5 mm jack for subwoofer input also contains the center channel input - but easy enough to figure out.