crazy DC offset LM386 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the MiniDisc.org headbanger amp about 2 years ago. This was my first amp and I still use it today for my PC. I decided to break out the meter and measure the DC offset.

Imagine my surprise when the meter read 4V! Yes FOUR VOLTS! From LO to OG and from LR to OG. WTF? This shouldn't be happening. The output has a 470uf cap on it.
This is the schematic.
http://www.minidisc.org/schem.gif

Does this value change when headphones are plugged in. Should I be measuring it with phones plugged in? I was just using a mini to mini connector and measuring from tip to barrel and ring to barrel.

I have had phones plugged into this thing and I haven't burnt up a set yet. :eek:

That is absolutely normal, because the amplifier is working from a single power supply. The output must therefore be at half rail voltage ~4,5 V, when no signal is present, otherwise you would not get anything out of it. In your case the DC offset is the deviation from the exact half rail voltage.

Don't worry about your amp or your headphones. The blocking caps will not let DC currents pass through.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.