Improvements to first GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I carefully followed the instruction and built my first kit from Brian.
I am very pleased with the quality over my fairly efficient KEF floorstanders.
I am now going to take time in understanding how to improve the amp and probably in the future will go the monoblock route.

However in the meantime can I throw out a few questions as to improving my box as is? Would these make a difference?

1. Replace stranded wire internals with solid core?

2. Should I shorten the paths/lengths of all the wires? Make all paths equal length?
For example where a signal wire from the board to an input is 8 inches is it worth shortening to three inches.

Same with the wires from the rectifier to the amp boards.

hotscot said:
1. Replace stranded wire internals with solid core?
Try it. Some people say, it improves the sonic quality. Others say, they cannot hear a difference.

hotscot said:
2. Should I shorten the paths/lengths of all the wires?
Absolutely. When you do that, take care that different signals (input, output, power) keep a few centimeters distance to each other, if possible. And avoid running the different signals directly in parallel, where you can. If wires have to cross, they should cross at right angles.

Those demands are contradicting each other, so you have to find the best compromise for your amplifier. Rather leave the wires longer than running different signals in parallel next to each other.

hotscot said:
Make all paths equal length?
No.

hotscot said:
Same with the wires from the rectifier to the amp boards.
The shorter and thicker, the better. Twisting them together improves interference behaviour.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.