Strange buzz in only one channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hello,

I'm facing a strange problem.

I've just assembled a dual mono kit from chipamp.com and it sound great! :cool:

But only one of the channels, the right one, is very sensible to what is attached to elettric plant.

e.g if I leave on the solder station only the right channel makes a lot of noise, the left one is deadly silent... same thing when you switch on or off lights: only right channel is sensible!

Someone has any idea about it, what to check?

Thanks in advance

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
Is the buzz only there when the amp is close to the soldering iron?

No, the amp is not close to the soldering iron.

Only branched ad turned on

Same thing happens with lights or when refrigerators starts compressing but in this case no buzz but pops.

Only to the right channel!

Ted205 said:
my guess would be a earthing issue.

Are you using a star ground scheme ? are all the ground leads the same length ?

Does the right channel work ok when the left channel is removed (power & ground leads)? What happens if you swap the modules?

No, in this moment the amp is still 'naked' and if it would happened to both channels I would have considered a grounding issue but the left channel is deadly silent and doesn't seem affected from either soldering iron, lighst or refrigerator!

Now amp is configured in dual mono (dual amp, dual PSU and dual transformer) but yesterday was connected with both amps and a single PSU and single transformer and the problem was the same...one channel ok, the other 'sensitive'.

I'm confused...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
For whom could be interested I've found the problem! :)

I've buyed two pcbs more and rebuilt the chipamp's Gainclone and that same strange problem reappeared, in the same channel, the Right one!

But there was also a new problem: no way to have dual mono!

If both amps were connected to one single PSU they worked, otherwise the right channel made only buzz! :eek:

The only things that have not be changed are:

RCA Connectors + theirs cables
Binding Posts
PSUs
Transformers

Well I've swapped RCAs Left <-> Right and the problem moved to the left channel!

So it was a RCA connector overheated...:hot:

Changed both RCA and now it works quite fine, also with solder station switched on...:rolleyes:

I hope that this could be helpful for someone else!

My setup is simply based on Chipamp.com PCBs so the schematic can be found on their website.

The components used are:

Panasonic FC & Evox-Rifa MMK (PS Decoupling)
Nichicon KG Gold tune (Main PS Reservoir)
Takman REX Resistors (Signal Path)
Philips/BC PR02 (Power resistors and Zobel)
Wima FKP2 (Snubber)
Evox-Rifa PHE426 (Zobel)
Selectronic R-Core 120VA Transformers
Solid Core speaker cable
Tasker Shielded Cable
Chinese 'High-End' Binding posts
Chinese 'High-End' RCA connectors (substituted by a PCB RCA Connector from trash...)

Some photos:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.